Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kinigi Guest House contact info and renting a car/driver

Feb 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

1)Any information about how to contact the kinigi guest house? The Rwanda Tourism board didnt give an email, and Rwanda Direct explained they wouldnt get you incontact, they were just trying to explain why it made sense to use a tour operator. Im not against using a tour operator at this point, but the sentiments expressed here have made me think I should at least try to do something else..

2)I saw 50 dollars for a car/driver somwhere, 300 someplace else and 200 from ITT. Any sites where I can get a car/driver for 50 dollars?

As always, thank you for any advice or time given!
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Hiring a car/driver from Kigali (you'd have private transport to/from Kigali in addition to your trekking days) will cost you around $200/day. The lower figure is for hiring a car/driver locally just to take you between your guest house and trekking location. In the latter case, you can take public transportation to/from Kigali. One poster mentioned using Amahoro Tours for local transport.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I will be in Rwanda in 3 weeks! The main purpose of my trip is to uncover better options for visiting the gorillas.

From June 1, permit fees will be $500 ppd. I am not unhappy about that. $1000 pp and more is still worth it! It is an incredible experience.

But I am unwilling to pay $200+ per day for a Kigali driver and car. What does the driver do for 3 days to validate these high costs? He does not guide the treks. He basically hangs out at my expense. Carol and I did a very expensive Rwanda trip with a high-profile company in 2006. Our guide added very little to the gorilla experience if any. Granted, it was useful to have guide for the other parts of our itinerary.

In Tanzania, guides/car generally cost less than $200 per day but the roads are much worse and the guides work almost non-stop for 14hours each day.

IMO there has to be a better way. My thoughts are this:

1. The bulk of the money should go the local people around Volcans and not to a guide in Kigali. These people hold the keys to the future of the gorillas - not the guides and safari companies in Kigali.

2. I am hoping to find drivers in the Volcans area who can meet people in Kigali and transport them to the Parc.

3. Obviously, they need reliable cars. This is the bigger challenge. Do I have to start a non-profit in the area to buy a few cars and to employ a few drivers? Can I create additional income opportunities for the gorilla guides by given them cars? These individuals are VERY IMPORTANT!

Am I daydreaming? I have daydreamed before about Tanzania with a degree of success.

The email at Kinigi is kinigi2020 at something dot yahoo dot sl but I lost it!

I talked to them on the phone about my trip a few days ago using +250 547156

Give them a ring!

Feb 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Climb-

Let me know what you uncover about local drivers. I have those exact same thoughts about the cost of the drivers from Kigali. I am going in August and was thinking of a bus to Ruhengeri, then hoping for some local transport from there to Kinigi and back and forth from the gorillas.
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

anyone know how to get intouch with Kinigi yet? And based on what I've heard, you can get a local driver to get you from Kinigi to the Gorrilla Trek for 50 dollars? Through who?

(Ill be contacing Amahoro shortly)
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Heart_Traveling

I don't have the email but call Kinigi on the number above!

You can walk from Kinigi to the office where you get your guide and group assignment. Then you can hitch a ride with the other vehicles (just like the guides!)