Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kings Pool (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kings-pool-340859/)

Jann Jul 25th, 2003 04:33 AM

Kings Pool

Would love to hear some feedback from anyone who has stayed at Kings Pool since the remodeling. Will be at this camp in September.

DJE Jul 26th, 2003 03:14 PM

Hi Jann,

We just recently spent time at Kings Pool the past couple of weeks and it was very nice. The new tents are very luxurious and nothing like some of the pictures you have seen on various web pages of the old Kings Pool.

They are extremely large and spacious with canvas and wood framing and a thatch roof and are very nicely appointed. Each bungalow has 2 spacious deck areas, one with an outdoor shower and the other with a pool.

They overlook a lovely lagoon area where you can view the hippos and the occasional croccodile and the birdlife is quite amazing. All in all it was a wonderful experience to spend time at this camp. Staff were great and game viewing was good. You will enjoy your time there. If you have any other questions just let me know. DJE

pattysuericia Jul 26th, 2003 07:46 PM

hi De, How was your trip?

Jann Aug 7th, 2003 05:07 AM

Hi DJE, Thanks for the info. Only three weeks till we depart good ole Virginia for Botswana. Did you stay at any other camps?

Kavey Aug 7th, 2003 05:40 AM

Jann
Can't wait to hear about Tubu Tree. I also booked it on the recommendation of Bert at Fish Eagle and am really looking forward to hearing your report.
I'm also interested in Dubu and King's though we're not going to be staying at those ones.
Have a great trip!
Kavey

DJE Aug 7th, 2003 10:06 AM

Hi Jann,

Yes our other 2 camps in Botswana were Chobe Chilwero ( 5 nights ) and Mombo ( 5 nights ). Our experiences at these 2 camps were very good as well. Saw lots of wonderful wildlife at all locations in Botswana and each camp offered excellent accommodations, good food and service all around.

Have a fabulous time on your trip.

Jann Aug 12th, 2003 04:04 AM

Kavey, Will let you know about Tubu on our return around the 20 Sept.

Kavey Aug 12th, 2003 04:46 AM

Thanks Jann!
I'm very excited for you - your trip sounds marvellous!

critch Aug 12th, 2003 05:51 AM

We stayed at Kings Pool in July for 3 nights. It was exceptional. Can't say enough about the staff and the accomadations were outstanding. Quite luxurious! Our guide was excellent. We saw 4 of the big five in one day. Our guide worked his hardest to insure that we saw everyting. We also saw lions mating which was quite an experience. Also stayed at Tubu Tree. The accomadations were also good even though they don't have the same rating. Didn't have the double sinks as in King's Pool and Mombo and the room was smaller but by no means cramped. Tubu is smaller and a little more intimate. Grant, Crystal and our guide Dan were excellent. Did many different things there as it was our last camp and we had already seen so much. We went fishing and each of us caught something, we took a walking safari, and a mokoro ride. All were great. Also went out at night after supper because we heard lions roaring very close to camp. Found them near the road and watched them for a while. The highlight at Tubu was seeing a cheetah, first time on our trip, and witnessing a successful cheetah kill.

Kavey Aug 12th, 2003 06:24 AM

Oooh critch thanks for the feedback.
I know King's Pool has recently been upgraded so that there are now three properties (KP, Mombo and Jao) which are at the highest rating but that Tubu is a regular rated camp. I expect it will be similar to what we experienced at Little Vumbura, Chitabe Trails and Damaraland Camp.
Thanks for the info about your activities there. We went fishing for the first time in our lives when at Little Vumbura, and whilst it isn't something that normally appeals we will likely try it again at Tubu. I was happier taking part once I understood that any catches would be eaten by staff or guests that evening!
: o )

Kavey Aug 12th, 2003 06:26 AM

PS Critch, if it doesn't sound too arduous would you consider posting (on a separate thread) a fuller trip report of your safari? I'd love to hear more and I'm sure others here would also!
And do you happen to have any photos in digital format that you would share with us by uploading to a website such as ofoto?
No pressure, just enthusiasm!
Kavey

Jann Aug 13th, 2003 04:31 AM

Critch: I would love to hear more of your trip ..it sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing especially Kings Pool.

critch Aug 13th, 2003 10:26 AM

Hi
Will post a trip report on our trip to Africa. Do feel an obligatgion as you and the rest of the posters put us on to Bert. We were so pleased with all aspects of our trip. Will do it soon. Don't have digital pictures to post however.
Critch

Kavey Aug 13th, 2003 10:48 AM

Oh I hadn't realised you booked with Bert. He's such a helpful man isn't he. Please tell him "kind regards from Kavey" if you email or talk.

Thanks

Jann Aug 13th, 2003 11:00 AM

Critch, Bert has put out trip together also. Found him here at Fodors. Isn't he just great! He has been so patient with us "first timers". I have to say a BIG "Thank-You" to all the people on this site. I spent months reading everything before we got an idea of the area we wanted. Especially to Liz , Kavey & Rocco. We would love to see a trip report from Critch- your writing style is terrific.