Killings in Zimbabwe

Apr 20th, 2000, 05:31 AM
Lily

Killings in Zimbabwe

Is anyone out there living in Zimbabwe? We have a ranch there and my father is in transit to Bulawayo as I write this. He has a 10 day stop over in New Zealand and will be calling home soon... Any news on the farm killings? Exactly where the latest one was? The only news I've gotten from friends there has been filtered by (I'm assuming) the Zim government. The latest speech by Mugabe mentioned whites as enemies, this concerns me a little.

Apr 20th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Rudy

Lily, I don't whether you are into newsgroups, but I think most email servers have a newsreader. Mine is Outlook Express. There is a newsgroup entitled soc.culture.zimbabwe which has many postings on it, some of them from within the country. It also has people posting newspaper articles from Great Britain, and also from within. I suggest you go to this group. If you can't find it, please email me, and I'll go through the postings and find out details about the murders and send them to you. Sorry for all you and your father must be going through. Rudy

Apr 21st, 2000, 12:05 PM
Roger

The London Times and other newspapers report a deteriorating situation. Two farmers have been killed in the last couple of days. Several black political opposition leaders have been murdered by Mugabe forces. At least two black foremen working for white farmers have been killed. Two white women, Tonia Jowett and Laura Wiggins (they gave permission to have their names used) were raped a couple of days ago in their own farm house. The Commercial Farmers Union has issued orders to 6000 farm families in Matabeland, Manicaland and the Midlands to leave their homes and take shelter in towns. Mugabe is using terror and scapegoating to cover up his own inadequacies and failures. Unfortunately, the Zimbabwean people will suffer a little more.

Apr 26th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Lily

Thanks Rudy for the info it has really helped me out. I spoke to my father on Friday. It turns out that the rancher killed near Bulawayo was his neighbor, bordering on the south end of Dad's ranch. The staff at the ranch heard gunfire all through the night. It is really terrible as most people are just trying to survive. Mugabe seems to be acting the part of the very establishment he overtook so many years ago.

Search this Thread