Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kiliwarriors? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kiliwarriors-746220/)

ccipups Nov 2nd, 2007 10:51 AM

Kiliwarriors?

In planning for our July 2008 Tanzanian safari, I've been reading extensively on this and other forums. I've noted several recs for itineraries and safari companies and have sent inquiries to several of the companies.
If you've used Kiliwarriors, I'd like to know what you thought of the experience.
Regards,
Diane

Denbasking Nov 2nd, 2007 12:52 PM

Good afternoon ccipups,

Hah! Every time someone posts about the KiliWarriors I get a note or two! I did have a “nice & lovely” private safari with the KiliWarriors (back in the day) in June 2006. The men and family in Tanzania “on the ground” are very cool! They can-do for sure and will provide a quality safari and other momentous experiences in EA for you if you choose them. All aspects, everything related to my late June 2006 safari went very well. Frankly, it seems ridiculously impossible to me now but it did happen that everything went so smoothly. Knowledge acquired from my time spent in Tanzania before the KiliWarriors and what I have learned since I’ve returned, as I have been working on projects daily with contacts in Africa; the saying “nothing is easy” must have originated there as well and was not a casual statement.

There is a somewhat recent post about them where a few folks said they were booked with them and about to use them along with a couple more that said they had just used them and will be reporting soon. I really am close to posting more about my trip with them as I have a full mailbox requesting more details from that thread and I suppose from having seen my name on their website etc. Search on KiliWarrior AND KiliWarrior<u>S</u> to find all the threads (weak search feature on this forum.)

If you are interested in KW’s I would start by contacting Eben, the managing partner, explain to him what you’re looking for and he’ll either take care of you or refer you to where he thinks you can get your safari desires met. That was the process we went through, I called, he advised, helped get me set up and connected with the folks for my Rwanda trip. This did not have any thing to do with the KW’s at that time but he handled it and actually he did not charge me for any of his assistance. Later, I had a week open up in my schedule that I wanted to fill with a trip to the Serengeti, I called him back, and he said he could really help me now and he did, and he charged me this time of course - drats!

I have not personally met Eben and my information about him is from my pre and immediate post-safari experience and what I’ve read from the volumes of information on his website and that he, climbhighsleeplow, has written on this forum. Many of the seasoned participants on the forum seem to be a bit more familiar with him than I but think all would agree that if you would like to know where anything is in Maasai Land of yore -- Eben can X mark the spot and tell you if there is a mud puddle on some obscure road and if there is a corner of a fence curled up large enough for a critter to crawl through anywhere, hakuna shida!

<b>From my direct experience</b>: If you’re attracted to KiliWarrior Expeditions because of what you have seen and read on their website, I can confidently say, <b>“WYSIWYG”</b> (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get) -- Exactly.

Good Luck and have fun! If you’re reading this, you’re already off to a better start planning your trip than I had as it took a while for me to find the KW website and then later this forum. Post your safari details of what you are looking for and all the Fodorites with their vast experience traveling and coordinating itineraries in the various African countries can lend you a hand.

Den

Patty Nov 2nd, 2007 01:12 PM

Here's that recent thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35079424

ccipups Nov 3rd, 2007 12:09 PM

Thanks, Den and Patty for your helpful replies. I did receive a reply from Kiliwarriors. I think they are just far enough outside our budget that we'll have to use another company. I suspected that would be the case, but it's foolish not to inquire!

Denbasking Nov 4th, 2007 01:07 PM

You are most welcome ccipups. For me, the trip in the Serengeti with the KiliWarriors ended up being the least expensive portion of my trip -- and they were the only company I used who accepted credit cards! Everything else, including the flights from the USA and back as well as all of the intra-Africa flights had to be paid upfront and in cash! Ouch!

You mentioned that you have taken notice of several recommended itineraries on the forum however; I really do encourage you to post the itinerary you like most (start a new thread) and let the seasoned Fodorites assist you in attaining your goal within your budget. They seem to have a way of enhancing ones original itinerary with new ideas leading one to a more personalized and fulfilling experience in Africa. If I am correctly deciphering your name (we have family members that provide this service), think of yourself as a pup in “a safe home environment” helping you prepare for your very special destination. I can only recall reading positive feedback from those who utilized the advice shared on this forum.

Good Luck! Den

Patty: I am so glad you posted that link for ccipups and right away too! You really are amazing the work you do for everyone on this forum! I made that post in a hurry then left for the weekend and it haunted me (just a little, but it was there) that I did not make it easy and run down that link to the post myself.

<b>Thanks for all you do Patty!</b>

ccipups Nov 7th, 2007 10:52 AM

Den,

If I may hijack my own thread for a moment... Re: my forum name, I believe you've made the right connection. Our third pup had no interest in being a service dog. We decided to keep her as a pet and are taking a hiatus from puppy raising to do some other things.

Like going on safari! Thanks for all your information. I'll post a rough itinerary separately. I'll look into Kiliwarriors again and ask them for a quote.

Diane