Notices

Kilimanjaro hike

Jul 10th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro hike

For those who have done the hike before - how long does it take from Stella point or Uhuru peak to go near the Reusch crater and back?
Jul 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM

My wife and I did the Machame Route in 2005, but did not go down to Reusch Crater. Great trek.

Not sure what your high altitude experience is, but for most people the idea of getting to the main crater rim, descending to the Reusch Crater and then climbing back up to the rim is going to be extremely daunting. Maybe you can do it, but it will be a challenge.

That said, here is a trip report where someone camped at Reusch Crater during the ascent via Western Breach Route, then climbed to the summit in one hour from the high camp. Scroll down to Days 8 and 9:
http://www.summitpost.org/kilimanjar...-crater/785229

So 2-3 hours round trip, in theory. Good luck if you try it.
Jul 14th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Nelson. I am also very unsure about having the energy or the acclimatization at 19k feet to do this trek.

But as a once in a lifetime trek, I would love to be able to go all the way to the Reusch crater....fingers crossed...
Jul 15th, 2013, 03:34 AM

Thanks for posting that trip report Nelson. That's an amazing story about the wife looking for the pin at sunrise.

Search this Thread