Kilimanjaro climb and safari

Jan 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro climb and safari

We're going to climb Kili in the beginning of July 2005. This will be the highest point we ever climbed, although last summer we did a week-long hiking vacation in Rocky mountains, in Colorado, so we're familiar with altitude sickness effect. We're not looking for technical climb on Kili but a hiking route.

We're considering to contract Zara outfitters and use Rongai route. Prices are somewhat an issue considering airfare cost in July. Zara outfitters seems to be reasonable and their internet site and description looks professional.

I'm looking for information and suggestions: best way to get there (fly to Kenia and use bus shuttle or fly to JRO), hotel suggestions, your experience with outfitters, packing suggestions, how much to bring, questions to ask. Is Rongai a good choice for this time of the year (July 2-7)?

Suggestions about safari are also highly appreciated. We thought of "basic camping" option - price quated about $100 per person per day. Is it reasonable? How to make your safari experience more active?
Jan 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Hi Tinka

Rest assured, none of the popular climbs on Kili are technical!

Rongai route is OK but the final ascent via Gillman's in the dark is very crowded, brutal and over 30% of climbers give up.

There are other routes that have higher than 90% summit success rates.

Zara is one of the cheapest outfitters but expect to get what you pay for.

Kilimanjaro is a dangerous mountain so you may want to shop around some more. Going to the summit after only 4 nights on the mountain is not the best/safest way to climb.

www.go-kilimanjaro.com
(information site, not an outfitter!) has the answers to just about everything you mentioned here, including route discussions, downloadable packing lists and outfitter comparison questions.
Jan 13th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Hi

I did Kilimanjaro in September 2003 and I have posted a trip report on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. In the report you will find a day by day diary, pictures, links to other Kili sites, review of equipment that I used wtc. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Aug 1st, 2005, 06:51 AM

Tinka - are you out there? Did you do this trip? My FH and I are planning to climb Kili next summer, and we are researching now. I'd love to hear about your experience and what company you ended up using.

Gard and climbhigh - your websites have been very helpful in educating me about what I am getting myself into! Thanks!

Thanks,
Karen
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Hello tinka,
Wondering how your climb went and who you choose to climb with. We are climbing in Jan. my second time to climb my friends first. If anyone has suggestions please write.
Linda

Search this Thread