Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar Vacation October 2005

Oct 29th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar Vacation October 2005

We had a great journey to Tanzania in October 2005. We planned an ascent of Kilimanjaro by the little used Rongai route, to coincide with the full moon. It was wonderful. We contracted with Good Earth (who we read about on this forum) and are very happy with both the price and their professional attention. Ernest, our guide on Kilimanjaro, was super. While my daughter and I ascended Kili, my wife had a safari, also with Good Earth. It was equally swell. We spent four days after the climb/safari on the beach in Zanzibar. We stayed at Pongwe Beach Resort, and found it to be excellent. Great stretch of beach, very good food, very nice staff. We followed with a one night stay in Stonetown at The Dhow House. We were disappointed here, primarily due to a few of the staff acting unexpectedly rude (and we are NOT demanding travellers). It was a very good vacation, and Fodorites were very helpful in the forum with their recommendations.
Oct 29th, 2005, 03:45 PM
dlo

We are climbing the Rongai route in February and would love to hear your impressions of the route.How many days did you use to climb? How crowded was the route and how steep was it?
Thanks
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the report - any more detail on your accommodation in Tanzania? THANKS!
Nov 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

1. We chose the Rongai Route due to its remoteness. The route has been called the Lokitai (sp?) as well. It begins from the north of the mountain near the Kenyan border and ascends dry country. We spent an extra day to acclimate ourselves. We camped quite comfortably each day at higher altitude. I don't think that you'll have any trouble with summitting if you 1) drink at least three liters of water a day; 2) eat as much as you can (altitude decreases appetite); 3) take Diamox as prophylaxis to help with acclimation; 4) and most importantly, "Pole, pole" (slowly, slowly). We planned our ascent for the full moon, whch was so bright we didn't have a need to use our headlamps. The Rongai is gradual, and not steep until the ascent day when you ascend 4000 feet. The big advantage of the Rongai is that it doesn't have the traffic of most of the other approaches. Best of luck to you!

Search this Thread