Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha (town)?

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:06 AM
africnow

Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha (town)?

Hi All,

I am a mature woman travelling solo. Will be flying into Kiliminjaro Airport. Landing at 1950 hours (in winter - August). I need to get to Arusha where my Safari will pick me up and transport me to their own guest house. They will also pick me up at the airport, but they want US$60 to do so.

Is there a *safe* bus or shuttle that I can use to get to Arusha?

I am a grandma and will be arriving with pack, sleeping bag and all (camera, binoc etc.) after a long and tiring flight.

Would really appreciate any help, advice, suggestions.

Thanks!

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Africnow,

Bat your eyelids and hitch! No but seriously - in the airport terminal will be the precision air office, they offer a shuttle bus into Arusha either the bus station or I think Boma Road and the precision air offices where you can phone to be collected. I thought it would be a little expensive. Did you book up with Chris in the end?

Speak soon

Matt
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM
africnow

Hi Matt,

Yes, I did book with Chris but I do think that US$60 for an airport pick-up is exorbitant.

Is the Precision Air office open at that hour? Some others - on LPTT - have mentioned a shuttle bus, but I don't know if it is really suitable for me or only for young and energetic backpackers.

One of the names mentioned was Impala. They say that there are shuttle buses that meet all international flights. I am a bit worried though because this is a late flight for a small airport...

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Yep I agree re the price: if there is a small group it is better value. (Or was it 60$ PP?) I think that the Precision shuttle leaves at regular intervals, at least according to arriving Precision flights.

Here's a link to one shuttle service:

http://www.riverside-shuttle.com/

When do you go? I can email a couple of people in Arusha and ask for further details.

Matt
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:03 AM
africnow

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link. Are they still in business? The price list is from 2003!!

I travel in 6 months less 6 days!! Impossibly excited for such a long time away, but that's the way it goes

If you can get some *definite* information on shuttles at that time of the evening I would really appreciate it.

Perhaps worth waiting a couple of months (at least) for that though...

The US$60 price is for the car - 4 passengers. But I am travelling solo and have no gurarantee that anyone else will be arriving on the same flight, or even on the same day!

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM

This is rather strange that your safari company is charging extra for the airport pickup - only budget companies do this. Makes we wonder what other corners will be cut during your safari.

Impala shuttle only meets KLM flights. There are no shuttles that meet flights from Nairobi, etc.

Standard taxi fare is between $60-$100 as this is negotiable. You will be hard pressed to find a cheaper safe ride. What lodge are you staying at? Will they pick you up?

What happens if your luggage don't arrive? This happens rather frequently. Your safari outfit will not be there to assist you!

Frankly, you may want to consider using a different company.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM
africnow

Hi climbhighsleeplow,

Thanks for your consideration. This is not a luxury safari. It is a camping trip. I have had good feedback from others who have used them on both Fodors and LP.

If, as you say, Impala meets KLM flights, including late ones, then I will be all right! Good to know!

This flight will require 3 plane changes, one with less than an hour between flights, so I am planning on using only carry-on baggage. Knapsack, sleeping bag and that's it except all the extras dependent on my body Will wear an extra sweater, jacket, carry my binoc & camera, wear my walking shoes and such.

If I don't melt before I get on the plane, I won't need to transfer baggage.

Am certainly open to other suggestions.