Kili, Safari and Zanzibar

Dec 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Kili, Safari and Zanzibar

Hi guys,
I've been reading your forum for a week every day and I can't wait to be in Tanzania. We are 3 guys going to Tanzania in January.
Our itinerary:
23.1. - 30.1. - Kilimanjaro
31.1. - 5.2. - Serengeti, Ngorongoro, (Tarangire)
5.2. - 13.2. - Zanzibar, Pemba

Are 6 days for Serengeti, Ngorongoro and maybe Tarangire enough? We don't have any operator yet and we are not sure, if we want to. Is it worth it? We want to trravel low budget. Is our planning for safari $150 per person per day enough or we should expact more? I know that prices rised really in 2006.
Eben, I think you are the expert, can you help me to find reasonable places in safari and maybe good operators for Safari and Kili? Is it ok, if we book only in Arusha or we need to do it before?
I can't wait to be there. There is nothing else I can think of in last days. ;-)

Thank you very much for your help.

I loved all your reports, you've posted here especially from alwaysafrica.

Looking forward to read your comments and suggestions.

Zuzana
Dec 9th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Hi Zuzana

Kilimanjaro - since you are on a budget and with only a month to go, it is best to work with one of the hotels in Moshi (Keys Hotel, Marangu Hotel, etc). These hotels climb almost daily and should be able to place you in an existing group. You should send them email to confirm but you can pay upon arrival. Please choose only a company from this list: http://www.tourismtanzania.go.tz/Doc...t%20Agents.pdf

It is no secret that I am concerned about climber safety and porter treatment so please be vocal about these when you negotiate your costs!

Safari - Your budget should work for a camping safari. The Keys/Marangu Hotel can arrange this too but but for overall better quality at reasonable prices you can try Sunny safaris.

Lodges will likely be fully booked and certainly more than $150 ppd!

There are public camp sites in Tarangire (it is a very good site next to the Tarangire River (2 nights), Ngorongoro (Simba is in a great location for 1 night), and Serengeti (the Seronera camp sites are all in very good locations for 2 nights). In 6 days you can go to all three places, but you will at least one loong day driving! Remember that it takes a few hours each day to set/break camp.

Zanzibar - I am not familiar with the many budget accommodations since I have only visited the more expensive places! Maybe the Thorntree board will be better!

Have a great time!
Eben
Dec 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hi there. I just posted this thread on Kili which also has some good comments from Eben.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34718665

Hope it helps

Search this Thread