Kicheche Mara

Nov 26th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Kicheche Mara

I am planning a trip to Kenya in Dec'04 for a short safari (3 nights). I'm working with a travel agent who is recommending that I stay at a tented camp called Kicheche Mara. It's north of the Masai Mara Reserve and very small (10 tents). I'm concerned that it is far from the reserve and that I may not get quality game viewing. Is anyone familiar with this camp? If you are, I would love to hear about your experience.
Nov 26th, 2004, 07:21 PM

I have not been to this camp, but I think north of the Mara is good to be more secluded. The park has no fenced boundaries so the animals roam well outside the park itself. It all looks the same to them. Being outside the park has an advantage of allowing you to do night drives and walks. The Aitong Plains, where your camp is, are very good for cheetah. I have stayed north of the Mara on all 3 of my visits and that's where I would go in the future.
Nov 27th, 2004, 04:16 AM
sandi

kim5 - there are actually very few camps/lodges within the Mara. The majority of camps are located outside the peremeter of the reserve. Being outside the Mara you will have the opportunity for night gamedrives, though check whether these are included in your rate or at an optional prices. But on a daily basis you'll drive into the reserve for your gameviewing. As I mentioned to another poster who had this concern, the Mara isn't all that big, when compared to the Serengeti; in 3-nts/4-days you'll have more then enough gameviewing opportunities throughout he reserve, as well driving to and from.

Nov 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Atravelynn & Sandi -- thank you for your perspective, very helpful!

Search this Thread