Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - any first hand experiences?

Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - any first hand experiences?

Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - any first hand experiences?

Hello,
I've read a few articles recently about Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (South Africa/Botswana) and would love to hear from anyone who's actually been there - wildlife, logistical aspects (i.e. getting there!) etc.
It looks like an amazing place. My next African destination perhaps...?

Thanks
H
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:17 AM

In planning my 2006 safari, I had initially not planned to return to South Africa, but, like you, the more I read about Kgalagadi, the more appealing it became. Especially since I prefer not to return to national parks while there remain some that I have not visited. It became the central focus of my upcoming July 2006 visit to South Africa.

I arranged tickets from New York to Upington (via JNB) (using Delta SkyMiles), and the park is a four-hour drive from Upington. I am staying three nights (one night in three different camps) so I can work my way counterclockwise through the park. On the return, I will overnight in Upington.

I have been on lots of safaris, and I now prefer the self-drives (where feasible) since I can spend more than 10 hours per day on game drives and I don't have to spend the major part of the afternoon at the lodge. There is a lot of info on the park on www.sanparks.org

Based on some of the questions on this forum, it doesn't seem like Kgalagadi would be that attractive to all those who post on this site since the accomodations, while comfortable, are not luxurious, and I will need to braai at some of the lodges (no restaurants).

And the wildlife is thinner than in some other parks elsewhere in South Africa, like Sabi Sands and Hluhluwe, but there are lots of predators (cats and birds of prey).

I'll let you know after I return.

Michael
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Michael.

I'm drawn to the park for the same reasons as you, it seems. My husband and I really enjoy self-driving/self-catering and we are not bothered about luxury accommodation.

I'll look forward to hearing all about your experiences when you return from your trip June
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

(oops - that should read in June)

Search this Thread