Kenya vs. Tanzania

Jun 20th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Kenya vs. Tanzania

My mom and I are thinking of going to Africa around Thanksgiving or in mid-December. I have been doing some research but can't decide between Kenya or Tanzania. Any suggestions. Money is not really a factor.

Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
sandi

November to mid-December is good between the North and Central Serengeti in Tanzania. As well, the Masai Mara in Kenya is good because the grasses will have been eaten by the Wildebeest herds, zebra and Tommies most of whom will, at this time, be in the Serengeti. Low grasses makes animal sightings real easy in the Mara. You can combine both countries and still arrive/depart from only one airport or fly into JRO leave NBO and vice-versa.

It would be a good idea to know for how many days you've set aside for this trip - in-country (not travel days).

Also give us an idea of your thinking of places in these country that interest you and we can come up with an itinerary to suit.

I'd stick with Thanksgiving to mid-December, as prices are lower - this is a shoulder period; prices go up again by December 15 and are likely pretty much booked for this Christmas/New Year's period. However, this is also the "short" rains season. That said, we've mostly traveled during this time on numerous trips and we've never had more than an occasional afternoon shower and maybe overnight rain. These rains have never inhibited our safari experience or bogged us down on the roads.

Jun 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I think we have only 8 days or 9 days in the country. Our tentative dates including flight are 11/18 - 11/28 or 12/12 - 12/22.

I haven't given much thought to what we would prefer to see since everything sounds great - Masai Mara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Samburu. Truly, it all sounds great. Howvere, I don't want to be moving around too much to see everything so would like to pick the best spots given the time of year. I plan on staying longer and climbing Kili, going to Zanzibar, etc so the 8 or 9 days would be primarily for the parks. Don't know if that helps.

Thanks again.
Jun 20th, 2005, 02:09 PM
sandi

I'd go with the November dates and with only 8-days, plus a Kili climb and Zanzibar - then Tanzania it is.

I don't know in which order you plan to do this, but I wouldn't do the Kili climb first - just in case! Do the safari, then the climb and finally relax on Zanzibar.

1) Fly from Arusha to the farthest point - the Northeastern Serengeti for 3-4 days - Migration Camp here is great or the new Mbuze Mawe Camp. The wildebeests, zebra and Tommies should be around this area.

2)Then move south thru the Central area and spend 1-nt here - the Serena Lodge is good. You can also do hot-air ballooning here if you wish.

3) Next drive to the Ngorongoro Crater for half-day Crater tour and 1-nt stay at the Serena; or for a blow-out, consider the Crater Lodge.

4) With 2-nts remaining, and even though not the best time to visit, I'd go to Tarangire National Park. This is a small Park, but with herds of elephants and amazing baobab trees. Here, there are a few good choices for lodging, but Tree Tops has recently received excellent reviews. Though outside the Park, it's worth considering.

Besides Migration Camp and Tree Tops are owned by the same company so you might get a "deal" pricewise.

Then drive back to Arusha/Kili and "climb that mountain."

You'll have to hold the Mara and Samburu, both in Kenya for another trip.

Search this Thread