Search

Need help from Liz or Kavey please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help from Liz or Kavey please

Liz and Kavey:

I've loaded a few of my Kenya pictures on Ofoto.Com and titled them. However, I'm not sure what to do from there to enable Fodor friends to view them. Could you please help me out. If I understand the instructions, I need to put in individual email addresses, or is there a better way to do it.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Jan
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 06:10 PM
LizFrazier

Jan-
From your own album, go to the 'share your album' tab on ofoto. Put your own email address into it. They will send you a link to view the album. That is the link to post on Fodors so others can view your album. I recommend that you check the box to have your friends register to view the album, because they will be able to post comments with the pictures. It surely finishes your album nicely for you own memories. Liz

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 07:51 AM

^ What she said!!
|

Can't wait!
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Liz and Kavey:

Thank you both so much for the help. I'll try to get it done tonight or tomorrow morning. Will let you know when it is done.

Please keep in mind, because of the dry season the pictures aren't nearly as pretty as they were in January. You will need to click on each picture in order to see what you are looking at. Wish I had done the CD of films in January. Lucily my video tapes turned out better than the 35 mm. I had some problems on Ofoto arranging pictures in order on our computer and then I noted that if you have Netscape certain maneuvers wouldn't work. Thus I stayed at work a little overtime to get it done at work and it worked fine.

SusanLynne:

I put some pictures of Satao in there for you to look at just to give you an idea of what the tents are like.

Thanks again everyone.

Jan
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Liz, Kavey, SusanLynne and anyone else who might be interested.

I just finished posting some of my film to Ofoto. Thanks to Liz and Kavey's help it went relatively easy.

To view go to:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=fy9zpit...1&y=zde27e.
Hope this works.

Jan
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 04:14 AM
LizFrazier

Hi Jan-
I just viewed your photos and all I can say is more, more, more please.
They are just lovely. What a contrast between Amboseli and Tsavo. The accommodations at both places are so nice. Much different form the tents at Governors Camp. Personally I like the lodges. I think that is an age thing though. Ol Tukai is someplace I could get used to.
One thing you might do is to click on 'slideshow' on the right hand side when you view the album. You'll notice on the pictures from Satao that your headings appear again as comments under each picture. You can delete these using the slideshow viewing.

I noticed more dung than ever on this trip we took to the Mara, and I noticed a strange absence of dung beetles. Ten years ago the beetles were everywhere. I never saw the dung like this. But then I didn't see the dung beetles either. I think they must have sprayed for misquitos or something but the beetles are definately gone. Too bad. Liz

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM
sandi

Jan -

Tried getting into your photos using the link above. Got message that photos no longer available or member has deleted them?
Am I doing something wrong? Haven't had a problem with other ofoto links. Advise.
I'd really love to see the pics.
Thanks. Sndi

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 04:36 AM

I tried to see them as well, but got a similar message to the one Sandi noted!
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 07:29 AM
LizFrazier

I just tried again and couldn't get in. I imagine Jan is updating them. When she is working on them, I don't think you can get in. Just my opinion. Liz

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Sorry everyone. When I typed in the URL I mistakenly put a period at the end. You can control C to copy the URL line and then delete the period before you control V on the address bar. I think it should now work fine.

Jan
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 09:16 AM

It's working fine! Jan thanks so much for doing this, I really enjoyed my mini-trip to Africa today.

Very sad about the wounded ele.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 11:11 AM
sandi

Jan - thanks for the correction on site address.
The baby ellees are great, but so sad not to have their own families. Recognized those tusks as Echo even before I saw the caption - she is a beauty. And the vervet Mr. Blueballs is a dead giveaway. I've got some strange photos of these from past trips. Thanks for sharing your holiday with us.

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:01 AM

thank you for sharing your wonderful photos! I absolutely love the baby elephants in their mud baths! And agree with the comment about the wounded ele in the distance - that photo is particularly poingant and touching.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Lovely photos -- that wounded elephant shot is stunning
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:55 AM

Finally got in! Wonderful!
I didn't log on to my PC at all on Sunday, saw this thread from client's site on Monday but couldn't log on because they block ALL image websites and then didn't get home till late because of transport problems in London. I did log on long enough to make sure I could get into the album but then left it for this morning.

What a pleasure!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank you all for your wonderful comments regarding the photos on Ofoto.com.

Kavey: I haven't yet been to India and seen the dung piles used for fuel. That is nother idea I'll have to put in my Kenyan friends bonnets!! Perhaps it will save some trees that are now being cut down for charcoal.

Yes, I have a magnificent view of the waterhole from my tent. However, I think the shadow you were referring to was from the post that holds one of the spotlights that enabled to me get some night video. Glad you enjoyed the pix of the accomodations. Most people who hear we go to Africa still think we need to go in the bush for a comfort stop! Thus I enjoy showing them the wonderful places we stay in. I tried finding my favorite ground cover "royoo" here in the US but haven't found it yet. Don't know if it would survive in England or not.

Regarding the reason the Maasai spear elephants, lions and other animals - of course it is an individual reason. However, I have been told it is strictly a "macho" thing with the young Maasai who feel it makes them more manly when they do so. It is really so sad.

While I was at Amboseli one of the researchers had to go to a Maasai village because one of the elephants had killed two cows. She assured them they would be reimbursed. However, one can't help but wonder why do elephants kill domestic livestock and yet never kill zebra, wildebeest, etc? Is it that they are being threatened by the cattle herders? If so, perhaps it is lucky that only the cow was killed and not the child herding it. I suggested that perhaps the three lodges in Amboseli might be able to offer part-time jobs 3 - 4hours a day for some of these young moran and let them see how harmoniously the elephants live with the other wild animals. Don't know if they can make this happen or not. I know Daphne Sheldrick often has large classes of young children she brings in to see the elephant and rhino orphans to let them see how safe, loving and caring these animals are in the hopes that when these children are older, they will learn to love all wildlife.

Thanks to all who were moved by the photo of Dionysis in the distance after he had been treated by the veterinarian. One can hardly see him, but you can still notice his right front leg being held up a bit. I plan to write Amboseli tonight to see what his status is, and also that of the little 3 1/2 year old elephant bull with the fractured leg. If I hear good news I'll let you all know.

Again, thank you all for your kind comments. Next trip I'll be sure to get photos on CD's again!

I'm already toying in the back of my mind for possibly February back in Amboseli. Don't know if I can pull it off financially or job-wise, but I'm sure going to try!

Jan
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:06 PM

Oh, Jan!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. And a photo of Echo!! Hard to believe such an impressive creature had such a rough beginning in life. Just magnificent to see Echo thriving. Satao looks fantastic. Is it any wonder we all love Africa so much????