Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kenya/tanzania/Vamizi, how to work this out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to sort out the best possible way to combine Kenya with Tanzania and ending with a stay at Vamizi.
I like to go to Loisaba for 2 nights, then fly or drive to the Mara, dont know where to stay there, so far i have my thoughts on Il Moran, any better lodges next to a river there? location is important.
Then want to stay 3 nights in Sayari, wonder how to get from the Mara to Northern serengeti. Want to finish with 4 nights at Vamizi island. Anyone has ideas on other lodges than that i found so far. The combination of luxury and great location is what we aer looking for. Thanks a lot
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Or should i just stay in the Mara? It will be the first week of october/last days september. what luxury mobile camps are there? If getting from the Mara to northern serengeti (Sayari) takes a whole day flying it might not suit our trip as we want to go to Vamizi which will also be a whole day to get to.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
sandi

When are you traveling?

From Nairobi to Laikipia (Loisaba) to the Mara, to Northern Serengeti, and then to Mozambique.

Well, it's a charter flight to Loisaba, then a flight to the Mara. From here, you'll have to fly to Tanzania (via Nairobi and Kilimanjaro) and then to the northern Serengeti.

Getting to Vamizi island will have to take you through JRO, DAR or NBO, from wherever is offering flights to this remote area. You're likely to spend at least 1/day traveling depending on routing. Africa is a big continent and often not a good idea to try to do East and Southern Africa in one trip, unless you have time to spare.

You might want to consider something closer than all the way to Mozambique - Mnemba Island, Pemba Island, Zanzibar Island, Mafia Island, Alfajiri on Diani Beach near Mombasa... all have high-end properties.

There are a number of camps on or near the Mara or Talek Rivers - Serian, Olonana, Rekero, Explorer, Naibor, Intrepid's. Prices vary, but are rather expensive.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, i was already afraid that going from the Mara to Serengeti has to be via NBO and Arusha.

Vamizi is on the northern part of Mozambique, one hour flight from Pemba and then an hour boat trip so yes it will take a full day, but i am so dreaming of that place.

I m now confused whether to just do Kenya or just Tanzania. It will be flexible between the 25th of september and half way october. altogether 12 nights max.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
sandi

There's more than one Pemba Island, the one to which I was referring is off Tanzania. The one you mention, is down near Mozambique.

For end Sept/early Oct, with only 12/days, I'd stick with Kenya - Laikipia (Loisaba for 3/nts, may 1/nt at Starbeds), the Mara for 4/nts, then head to Mozambique. Or consider Alfajiri on the coast or even Shompole... still in one country.

But I certainly wouldn't wait as space as September is booking fast all over Kenya.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow Shompolo looks amazing! thank for your tips
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Sandi is it possible i email you?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
sandi

Alejandra -

Sure, my personal email is lednipss at aol dot com. Be sure to indicate Africa in the reference.