Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya/Tanzania travel agent (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-tanzania-travel-agent-506247/)

ji Feb 22nd, 2005 03:28 PM

Kenya/Tanzania travel agent

My husband and I have just started looking into going to Kenya and Tanzania on a photo safari. I have been reading postings on safaris to that area and from what I gather it is best to use an agent from over there. My question is..is it really better to book/plan a safari with an agency from that area and if so which ones do you recommend?

JanGoss Feb 22nd, 2005 05:15 PM

Jackie:

If you know where you want to go and when I would contact an African company directly. I have used Southern Cross Safaris on all seven trips and they will book whatever you want in either Kenya or Tanzania. I recommend them highly.

Jan

KRGfromSD Feb 24th, 2005 07:49 AM

Just got back from my trip. We also used Southern Cross in Kenya. Our last driver was outstanding! His name was Tony. Definitely request him. But Southern Cross is only in Kenya.

For Tanzania, we used Unique Safaris. We were not impressed. They were very nice but just not a smooth operation. We learned more from our Southern Cross driver Tony on the drive from the Mayfair Court in Nairobi to the Carnivore Restaurant on our last night than we did with our Unique Safaris guide for the whole 10 days in Tanzania.

We spoke to a couple in Tanzania who used Leopard Tours and they had a great guide.

sandi Feb 24th, 2005 12:26 PM

Another in-country outfitter that gets good kudos is Roy Safaris. You can find them at www.roysafaris.com.

While Tanzania is their base, they coordinate excellent itineraries for both Tanzania and Kenya.

If you do not see what you are looking for on their website - which provides an idea of what can be done - but have specific ideas of your own, just email them with your details and they'll return a quote for you.

prkrishnan Feb 25th, 2005 06:29 PM

i was looking at the souther cross website there is no mention of kenya?

amandina Feb 25th, 2005 07:32 PM

I dont know what your budget is but if you can Micato Safaris is one of the best around for both Kenya and Tanzania alike. They work out of Nairobi but have a good contacts/offices in the US. Their level of expertise and attention to detail is amazing. I have used them a couple of times and have never been disappointed! LOL! I am just kicking myself trying to think how to get back out on safari some time soon. Still havent come up with a solution!

JanGoss Feb 27th, 2005 05:43 PM

prkrishan:

Check out southerncrosssafaris.com.

There are two Southern Cross Safaris. One is in Nairobi. The one I use all the time is at the above website and is located in Mombasa. They do a super job at coordinating what you want.

Jan