Kenya-Tanzania Timing

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Dick

Kenya-Tanzania Timing

We are attempting to plan a trip for 2002. Welcome input on pro-con of May-June versus later in the summer (our). Is saving a few dollars in the "off-season" worth what might be missed for other times of the year? Have enjoyed the numerous postings on visiting East Africa. Thanks to all for numerous tips on packing and related topics.

Jul 17th, 2001, 09:13 AM
sallie

Dick - I was in Kenya this year in late April.

Advantages: Because of rain I believe the scenery was lusher, not as much dust which was important for me with my camera, being out on the Serengeti during a 20 minute downpour was pretty magnificant, we still saw zebra and wildabeest even though it was not the migration, lots of babies, great bird life at lake nakuru and Amboseli and definitely cheaper.

Disadvantages: The grass was a little higher than usual - could make spotting difficult. Although it mostly rains late afternoon it does rain. During the 9 days in Kenya during the day it rained two brief times when we were on game drives and it rained as we were driving to lake nakuru so it didn't really effect my trip, but it could effect yours. Also less crowded!!!! The lodges were less than half full and a couple times there might be 4 or 5 vehicles trying to get close to the game, but it sure beats dealing with the masses.

I highly recommend 2afrika.com they had an amazing package for $1900 including airfare from the states, lodges, transfers, meals and the most amazing guides through the local tour company of vintage africa.

If you have any additional questions feel free to email me since I check in here about every 3 months.

Jul 20th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Dick

Sallie, thank you so much for the info. I made contact and was pleasantly surprised with prices and possibilities. Again, thanks.

Search this Thread