How safe is eastern Turkey?

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 06:12 PM
Aram Kaprielian

How safe is eastern Turkey?

I am planning a trip to eastern Turkey, specifically the area near Diyarbakir. How safe is this area?

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 08:24 AM
Paula Smith

The fact that you are questioning the safety of the area indicates that you are already aware that there
"might" be problems in the area. It is always best to trust your commonsense and intuition. Your concerns are usually valid. Why not select an area
where there are not safety concerns?

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 08:08 PM
Al Clem

I'm wondering, too. Diyarbakir has been a center of Kurdish activity for a long, long time. Read "A Modern History of The Kurds," by David McDowall.
P. 429 tells about support there for PKK and Turkish military control. Would be interested in what you find because we are going to eastern Turkey in late May on a tour. Thanks.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 08:10 PM
Al Clem

I'm wondering, too. Diyarbakir has been a center of Kurdish activity for a long, long time. Read "A Modern History of The Kurds," by David McDowall.
P. 429 tells about support there for PKK and Turkish military control. Would be interested in what you find because we are going to eastern Turkey in late May on a tour. Thanks.

Old May 20th, 1998, 01:45 PM
Gaar Decker

If you do not go to eastern Turkey you will be missing out on one of the great experiences of your life! The Kurdish people are the nicest people I have ever met. They will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. Yes, a lot of people say it is dangerous but they are usually Turkish or American officials. The Kurds have no problem with Americans but some do have a problem with the American government. Put the politics aside and go and enjoy the adventure! Travel by day and carry your passport. You may run into some roadblocks. Just show them your passport and speak English and they will wave you right through. I would love to go back myself. The "real" Turkey is away from the Med. coast. Trust me, you'll love it!

Old May 24th, 1998, 06:31 PM
joseph Szyliowicz

I recently drove from Gaziantep to Adiyaman to Mardin to Diyarbakir (via Batman) and had no trouble at all. A very interesting trip.

Old May 27th, 1998, 07:26 PM
A Kaprielian

Joseph: Please tell me about your experiences in both Batman/Diyarbakir - people, town size, restaurants, hotels. I will be visiting there this August.