Kenya/Tanzania Safari Trip - January/05 - Questions

Dec 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Kenya/Tanzania Safari Trip - January/05 - Questions

Fodorites:

I have to personally praise the users of this site for providing such wonderful advice and counsel for other travelers (including myself). Many past comments and feedbacks have been very comforting and encouraging. I am close to my 18-Day trip next week to Kenya and Tanzania (complete safari trip) and I am pretty excited, yet nervous (not knowing what to expect - as I will be going myself (on flight) to the destination and my guide and tour company will be with Guerba Travel Ltd. - not sure how many others will be joining). I tend to be a little obsessive sometimes on safety (everything from terrorist to malaria) and anal on being a perfectionist (as far as packing and all).

Below is my itinerary and remaining questions I have. Thanks again in advance!

This is a comfort camping style tour (with crew members that set up tents and cook for you and sometimes camp guards for certain parks). The safari itself is 16 days (1 night in NBO prior to venturing out):

Kenya:
Mt. Kenya
Samburu National Reserve
Lake Nakuru National Park
Lake Naivasha
Masai Mara National Reserve

Tanzania:
Arusha
Lake Manyara National Park
Ngorongoro Crater
Serengeti National Park
Olduvai Gorge
Tanrangire National Park

So I think I will end up being pretty exhausted from the trip (from sitting in minivans in Kenya and Land Rovers in Tanzania) getting from park to park.

OK. Assuming bush showers and primitive restroom facilities, and assuming I have all other items necessary for this trip (visas, all shots up to date, malaria pills, film and camera, sunscreen, insect repellent, etc., etc., etc.,) -

In the area of clothing (I would prefer to travel light if possible and wash my clothing when possible) -

(1) What would you recommend I bring as the bare necessities (please be detailed in number of pieces of clothing - I have heard people tell me that I need no more than 3 t-shirts and underpants, a pair of shorts and long easily dried pants and a few pairs of socks - that's it!) and what would you recommend I bring in electives (or optional clothing items that I will likely use if I know I have it)? [I have traveled before overseas and always tended to overpack and not use half the items in my duffle bag. However, most of the trips overseas had 3-4 star hotel accommodations, whereas this will be a safari trip - comfort camping].

(2) A lot of postings are from people who went there in 1998-2000; have there been changes of the safari environment since? I know of a couple of travelers who got back recently, any more travelers have something to share more recently for Kenya/Tanzania (their experiences)?

(3) I will be going peak season, will I see a lot of other tourists out on the safaris?

(4) Any other last minute advice(s) that would make my trip more pleasurable, please feel free to comment!

Thanks!

Ohio Boys
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
TC

See thread below for your tips. I'll try to top it for you. Have fun. Its an amazing trip.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

to TC:

Thanks for the headsup. Ironically I read your wonderful detailed email right after I sent my questions out. It seems the "sun" and "dust" are the two primarily issues I must be prepared for.

Thanks again.
Dec 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Well I'm a California girl, not an Ohio boy, but I wished I'd brought more T-shirts. Was on safari for 10-11 days (don't remember how many exactly) last July.

I think I brought 4 T-shirts, but I changed those more frequently than anything else because I wore them constantly under other layers. Often it was chilly in the mornings/evenings but hot in the afternoon. We camped 2 nights and stayed in lodges the rest of the time. Had our laundry done once (what a pleasure!!).

Since you're being careful about your medications, I don't think you have too much else to worry about. Have a wonderful adventure! I'm sure you will.

Search this Thread