Kenya/Tanzania safari- in 2 weeks-final "tweaking"

Oct 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Kenya/Tanzania safari- in 2 weeks-final "tweaking"

Getting 'down' to the wire. With all the feedback we've gotten (emails and postings) here's our current plan. We've changed plans to return two days later. Please feel free to comment on any part of our decisions. The big remaining questions are how to spend those additional 2 days--
1-- continue trip as it is and just spend two additional days in Mombasa
2 -- add a day in the middle of the safari and then fly to Zanzibar on Thursday. Fly Zanzibar-Nairobi-Johannesburg Monday .
3-- add two days to the pre-Mombasa section of the trip, potentially one on the road (back to the overnight at Speke?s bay?) and one in Nairobi or add both to the safari time

And here's the (almost) final itinerary:
DAY #1 arrive NBO 1455
HILTON HOTEL

DAY #2 DRIVE TO AMBOSELI
STAY AT TORTILIS CAMP
#3 O/N TORTILIS

#4 DRIVE TARANGIRE
STAY AT TREETOPS

#5 O/N TREETOPS

#6 DRIVE TO NGORONGORO
STAY AT NGORONGORO SERENA
+
#7 O/N NGORONGORO SERENA

#8 DRIVE TO SERENGETI
STAY AT SERENGETI SERENA#9 SAT 11/20 O/N SERENGETI SERENA

#10 O/N SERENGETI SERENA

#11 DRIVE TO MASAI MARA
CROSS AT ISEBANIA CROSSING
STAY AT MASAI MARA SERENA

#12 O/N MASAI MARA SERENA

#13 DRIVE TO NAIROBI
SHOPPING, CARNIVORE?
or one of the alternate plans above
#18--morning flite to connect in JNB for flite home
Oct 29th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I haven't been to Kenya, and I'm sure there are lots of great ways to spend 2 extra days there, but I did just get back from Zanzibar, and it was fantastic. Stone Town is fascinating and has great shopping--it feels so exotic to wander through the narrow streets and hear the call to prayer from the many mosques. It's also nice to relax and unwind on a beach after bumping along on dusty roads in safari jeeps for 2 weeks.

Then again, in light of your other topic that got deleted (glad to see that *@!# got banned!), you might consider the fact that Zanzibar is a fairly conservative Muslim society. You don't see women without their heads covered, and out of respect to the locals, my wife and I didn't even hold hands in public. We did see a few European tourists walking around town in tank tops and short shorts--luckily most people in Zanzibar are very tolerant and welcoming towards foreigners, but to me that's asking for trouble.

My point is, I don't know how they'd respond to two men asking for a double bed--it really is a very different culture from mainland Tanzania, which I think would be much more easygoing. I'm not saying it would necessarily be a problem--it might not be at all, and I certainly hope it wouldn't. But I just don't know, so I'd recommend doing more research on that before you change your trip around--maybe check the Lonely Planet or other guidebooks?

In any event, good luck--it's an incredible part of the world, and you'll have a great time wherever you go!

Search this Thread