a little more help with tanzania/kenya trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who's been helping me along. I think we're getting close, but need to make some decisions among parks. We'll definitely do masai mara, amboseli, serengeti and ngorongoro. Fodorites seem to also recommend tarangire. Any feelings (or comparisons) between manyara, lake nakuru and/or samburu? I don't think we can fit more than one other park in (we're on the ground for 18 days - flying into nairobi/out of dar - and plan on a few in zanzibar at the end). We also don't want to rush or spend so much time driving around, that it's more like work than fun. Are we trying to cram too much in?
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Sharon-
I've put a link to a website you can check for the best time to visit any game park in Africa. When you go really should dictate your itinerary when you need to choose between areas. Hope this helps. Liz
the link: http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Liz, what a great site! Thanks so much. Now here's the hard part - we're going in aug - (arriving 31 july and lving 19 aug) so it looks like everyplace is excellent, except manyara (good). So what do you think?
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Sharon,

We've been to Nakuru & Samburu (2 years ago)and Tarangire (2 weeks ago). Tarangire was wonderful - many many elephants, but also quite big herds of Wildebeest, Zebra and Buffalo (and saw Lions in trees!!)

Of the 3 we visited, my favourite is Tarangire and I think that August would be a great time of year - for the mini-migration that you've probably read about elsewhere.

On a logistics point, both Nakuru and Samburu from memory are a long way from the Mara, so Tarangire may be an easier "fit in" as it is reasonably close to the Ngorongoro.

Just my two pence (cents) worth!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Ruthie, thanks for the suggestions. Do you have any feelings about manyara?
I saw your awesome photos (ok, your husband's!) and they've got me really excited. I e-mailed the thread to my son who's traveling with us so he could see where we're headed. He's going over to Arusha in May to work with the UN, so we'll be meeting him when we fly over at the end of July.
I want to try to get as much in as possible during the time we're there (but i don't want to be like the folks who spend 1 day in each capital city in europe and think they've seen the continent!) So I particularly appreciate your comments about distances to help me figure out what's realistic.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Sharon- Lucky you! You can pick any place and since I haven't been for so long, I'll leave it to those like Ruthie who just got back to guide you. Please bring a trip report and your photos back to share with us. Just remember, we like details. Anyway I do. Liz
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 10:23 AM
sandi

Sharon -
Go with Tarangire - there's a mini-migration here at the time you'll be visiting.

As to Lk. Nakuru (or any of the other "Lakes" or Samburu in Kenya - these are out of the way for this trip; all the more reason to return at another time when you can take in and enjoy more of Kenya!

Tarangire is it!

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 10:32 AM

We've been in Nakuru, Samburu, Maniera.
I think many Fudorists allready emphsised that Maniera is not an impressive park. I tend to agree.It's small, not many animals and the hot springs are poor. It's ok to visit on the way, but spending whole day ther is a waist . On the other hand Nakuru & Samburu are great, Nakuru is more crowded since many Nayrobians come foe the weekend, and unlike other park you will see more local tourists. But the lake is a phenomena!!! Oh those thousands of Flamingos. Drivind among them you feel like in a National Geographic movie.Most of the animals you can see in different numbers in other parks, but these flamingos in thousands are uniqe to Nakuru. I usually don't like too many people around me but one is so amazed in Nakuru Lake, that he does not even notice the crowds.
Samburu has a uniqe landscape, different than other parks, more like a dessert. Great animal games, We saw all the animals and lots of Crocodiles I reccommend also Shaba and Buffalo Springs.(near by Samburu).Samburu and the area has more magical and unexplore atmosphare and you will not see so many people like in other parks.