Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kenya/Tanzania safari for solo female traveler (Jan 2010)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a 10-14 day safari in Tanzania and/or Kenya in January 2010. I'd appreciate recommendations for a reasonably priced safari company that might be a good option for a 30-something woman traveling alone. I'm a biologist, and would prefer an animal (and ideally primate) heavy safari. Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Primates makes me think of Uganda or Rwanda for gorillas and/or chimps. In fact I just went on a primate safari in those 2 countries.

But Mahale in Southern Tanzania is one of the best places for chimps.

With 10-14 days, you may want to go to just one country, either Kenya or Tanzania. But it would not be hard to tack on about 3 nights in Rwanda for gorillas. You mention "reasonably priced" so I'll mention gorilla permits are $500 for one hour of viewing.

If you are sticking to solely Tanzania, I'd do this:
2 Arusha
1st nt arrival, and then a day or half day in Arusha Nat. Park looking for black and white colobus monkeys along with other animals. You may need another night there in transfer enroute to Mahale in Southern Tanzania, where the chimps are.

1-2 Lake Manyara
The baboon action is great here and it is one of the few places that blue (or black, depending on the term used) monkeys are easily seen. Plus it is a good place for eles this time of year and the hippo pool is tops.

1 Ngorongoro Crater
A spectacle! This is one place to try to avoid the primates during lunch. The vervets try to take your food because unfortunately they have been fed in the past

3 Ndutu--The Southern part of the Serengeti
In January, this is where the bulk of the migration usually is. Not sure what the availability is at this date.

3-4 Mahale with 2 or 3 chimp visits. Again, availability could be a problem.

The Mahale portion adds to the expense.

Good Earth in Tanzania & Florida gets good reviews as a reasonably priced company for Tanzania. I haven't used them and I'm not sure if they could do Mahale. You might want to try Kiliwarriors in Tanzania and Virginia, who can do Mahale. I've discussed a future Mahale trip with KW, but not used them yet. The Wild Source in Colorado did a nice trip a year or two ago, along the lines of what I have above. I know some people who just went with Access Tanzania and included Mahale. There is also Go2Africa in South Africa for a solo or a group trip. You could check for group trips at Africa Adventure Company in Florida and they also do solo trips. I've used them in Tanzania.

Group trips that do the Northern Circuit of Tanzania--Manyara, Crater, Serengeti are easy to find. But when you include Mahale it gets harder to find a group trip.

As a biologist, you may have slightly different and more in depth interests than your average safari-goers that you might share a vehicle with. For that reason, a solo trip may be more to your liking. Of course, that's more expensive. But in this poor economy, you may be able to get a deal. I usually go alone.

Good luck!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Travel monkey, you probably can tell the previous post looks like an advertisement. Why the angry face on Days 11 & 16 one can only guess.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The solo thing shouldn't be too much of a concern except for expense and sometimes wanting to have someone to turn to and say, "Can you believe this? So beautiful, so exciting." Of course your guide will be there. I am doing my first solo safari next summer. It is not my first trip to East Africa and, having been before, going alone doesn't particularly worry me. I haven't hammered out the details, but I am going to Rwanda for gorilla trekking and then to Kenya (have only safari'd in Tanzania in the past). I have read many reports from solo travelers here--not to worry.

You might want to graze the New Africa Trip Report Index, looking for itineraries in your timeframe.
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm

What's Mahale like in January, anyone? I don't know.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. For my first safari, and traveling alone, do you think it's better to join a group safari (for the company, as much as for the price)?

I've considered Rwanda and Uganda, but thought Tanzania or Kenya might be a better "starting" safari... I've traveled extensively in Madagascar, but haven't been to mainland Africa.

atravelynn - would you mind sharing more details about your recent trip?
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM

I often travel alone and love it and certainly feel safe. Many times I've actually been at a camp as the only guest (travel off-season) and am well taken care of.

As mentioned, except for the cost of solo travel, this can be the best way to go. And, in your case with special interests, better than with others who probably won't be (but you never know).

Lynn outlines good ideas for a January visit, especially with the migrating herds in the Ndutu or SESerengeti areas (if space available here at this already late date... but Jan might work still).

Many combine Rwanda with Tanzania. If you fly into Nairobi/NBO* (more carriers fly here) you can connect to flight to Kigale/KGL, then either a Coastal flight direct into the Serengeti (expensive at about $675/person one-way) or on Rwandair (not a daily flight though) for about half that price, into Kilimanjaro/JRO. You can do the safari either West-to-East or vice versa.

Best you contact a few tour operators or in-country outfitters for ideas of routing, accommodations and, of course, prices to see if you can pull this off.

*if using KLM, you can consider an "open-jaw" ticket -arrive at NBO, depart JRO; other carriers you'd have to return to NBO.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Here is a link to the report, but I think Tanzania and/or Kenya with perhaps a quick Rwanda trip for gorillas would be best for your first safari.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...eek-safari.cfm

Joining a group? For the price, yes, it is a good idea. For the company of others, it depends on the type of person you are. If you get lonely easily, then you may want to join a group. But it is not as if you'll be isolated. In every camp/lodge there are others to interact with. I have noticed that East Africa lodges do not offer the same camraderie that the tented camps or guesthouses offer, though.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM

The trip that Lynn mentioned that WildSource did a year or two ago is in the index, you can find the specific report at:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...oments-inc.cfm (Report)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=3izna5&Ux=0 (Mahale photos)
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...y=-fkzd8o&Ux=0 (Lake Manyara and Suyan photos)
bgiven.zenfolio.com (all photos)

<b>ITINERARY:</b>
Arusha – Arusha Hotel
Mahale N.P. – Greystoke
Lake Manyara – Kirurumu Tented Camp
Loliondo Reserve Southern Area, Piyaya Area – Suyan Camp
Ndutu Area of Serengeti – Olakira Camp

I just had to point this one out to you, as being a biologist, you would fit right in with the owner, who is also a biologist. Bill (owner) leads group trips, so you would not be all alone.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM

If you travel alone,you pay expensive,if you join a group because of the sharing it becomes cheaper.It will depend on your budget.

So with the program,you can decide to do a Kenya safari for 3 days then you proceed to Uganda/Rwanda.

This time:
Am happy.
it was a fight with wife when i was finishing the program.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM

"This time:
Am happy.
it was a fight with wife when i was finishing the program."

So that explains the angry faces.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. WildSource is appealing to me - I really like the idea of visiting with a biologist as my guide. And I would love to visit Mahale... I've read all about the chimps there (and it seems more accessible than Gombe or Kibale).

I'm thinking that I will most likely delay this trip until next summer or January 2011 (I teach at a university, so I have a lot of potential vacation time). This way I will have more time to plan, and to figure out the right balance of budget and primates.

New plan: I have a friend living in Addis Ababa, so I may plan 2 weeks in Ethiopia, which seems to have good weather in January. There are so many places to see!
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM

"There are so many places to see!" And not enough time or money. Even with enough money, not enough time.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Hi,

I'm a spanish traveller. I¡m going to tanzania to go on safari in january 2010, from 15th to 29th I will be there.
At the moment I haven't group to go on safari. I would like to join a group to this, because of the price and security.
My plane arrives at kilimanjaro in january 15th, and them I looking for travel mates. Is anybody interested to join a group. ([email protected]). I love the photograph,I'm interested to sleep in a camping site, not in a lodge. I'll travel alone because of my girlfriend doesn't like this tipe of trip. Thank you for your attention.([email protected])
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Hello,
I'm also a solo female traveler who will be in Tanzania 7 January to 2 February 2010. Too bad (for me!) you're postponing your trip, travel_monkey, but if there are others out there who are looking for safari partners, I'm still looking to join up with a group or at least another person. I'm a keen photographer and would like to go on a budget to midrange safari (maybe a mix of the two).
Happy travels to all!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Laurieo,
I will be traveling in Ethiopia in January (a solo "safari" in the southern rift valley and traveling with my friend in Addis and to the north). Have a great trip in Tanzania! I hope to see some of your photos when you're back.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM

Hi Travel_monkey,
Happy travels to you as well. Have a great time!