Search

mcdonalds in dubai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcdonalds in dubai

hi there,just a small question.

a friend returned from dubai claiming mcdonalds sold meals at $2.

does mcdonalds have a different pricing scheme in the middle east?or is everything cheaper in dubai?

i know there is more traditional cuisine to eat than mcdonalds in dubai, but i am still very curious about this.thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
sandi

McDonalds prices vary worldwide. If $2 in Dubai it's probably based on the disposable income of individuals living there. It's even possible that the Emirates government subsidizes the price.

Hey, even in the US prices at McDonalds vary... Manhattan alone is an example where prices change within this one island. And Hawaii is higher than on the mainland... but you do get pineapple with every meal.

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:46 PM

At the McDonalds in the Dubai airport in January, you could get a "McArabia Meal" for 15 dirhams. That translates to roughly 4 US dollars. A McArabia Meal consists of a grilled kofta (the picture looks like a hamburger in pita bread), fries and a drink. I have no idea if it's any good or not. I took a picture of the sign advertising the McArabia Meal because it caught my attention.

Maybe the McDonalds in the city are cheaper than the one at the airport - I don't know.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM

As said prices vary from one country to another and also the type of burgers, you won't find for example a Pork Burger at a McD in Malaysia but you would in Thailand, prices are based on what local market/spending power dictates. A McD in Dubai or Asia would be much cheaper than Europe.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:06 AM

The Economist has what they call the "Big Mac Index". Intended to be a measure of a local economy.

See http://www.economist.com/markets/big...8-1be7ebb04f06
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

big mac index?

soon we will be trading in big macs

macs will replace the weakening dollar to compete with the euro
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM

As the average staff cost for in McDonalds in Dubai is likely to be earning around $250 per month (on basis that labourers earn $125) then $2 probably represents greater profit margin than in the US. No not everything is cheaper in Dubai - eg clothing, rent is also increasing significantly.