Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa

Jun 18th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa

How do I decide when to go? I can either go in August or December? I want to see cape town and johanessberg, but also have dreamed about the serengeti. I'll have 10-14 days...please send any advice about where is best during this time...thank you!
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:18 PM

South Africa in December was fantastic -- gorgeous late spring/early summer weather -- lovely, and great game viewing. I'll be in Tanzania this December so can tell you when I get back. The migration generally heads south from Kenya's Maasai Mara into Tanzania's Serengeti sometime around November, so December would probably be better in Tanzania than in Kenya I believe although there are lots more expert folks here than I.

If you do choose South Africa, I would recommend splitting your time between Cape Town area and Kruger National Park/Sabi Sands area. Both fab.
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Hi:

My 2 worth is - when we were planning our safari in 2002 we were also debating between South Africa or Kenya.

Two of the people I was then working with had spent time in South Arfica (one of the guys grewup in South Africa, the other did an 18 month work asignment there). I asked each of them seperately for their recommendation and both immediately responded with Kenya would be the 'real Africa & real safari'.

So didn't ask anything else about South Africa, immediately focused on Kenya and had an amazing time.

Hope this helps.

Z
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:41 PM

August:
Best is Kenya where you can see the migration that comes up from the Serengeti. But the northern part of the Serengeti would be good too this time of year as the herds travel from Tanzania to Kenya. I have been in Kenya and Tanzania during late July and August, the dry season with an abundance of game.

Capetown and Johanesburg are near their coldest. It is a good time for whale watching. It is also a good time for game viewing in the parks, but you did not mention that. I've never actually been to SA.

December:
This time is rainier in East Africa. The Southeastern part of the Serengeti in Tanzania would be the best bet now. I have not gone at this time of year, but I want to get to the Serengeti in February some day to hopefully see the calving.

As Lisa mentioned, SA is warmer now.

I would choose either East Africa for the Serengeti/migration or South Africa where you could add a safari to your city visits. If you stayed in South Africa, you could see the cities you want to and great game, though not the plains of the Serengeti or the migration.

But if Capetown and the Serengeti/ migration are your goals for a once in a lifetime trip, you could do both. You'd just have to be aware that some of your 10-14 days would be eaten up in travel time between the countries and some of your budget would have to pay for the intra-Africa flight.

If you have 10 days (excluding flights) you could spend 5 nights in SA in the cities then 4 in the Serengeti or the Masai Mara. That leaves one travel day between countries.

Search this Thread