Kenya/Tanzania January 2008

Sep 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Kenya/Tanzania January 2008

At long last my wife and I are planning a trip to Kenya/Tanzania in late January (from the 20th) arriving the early morning 7.20am from London Heathrow. We plan to spend approximately 2 weeks.

Thanks to the accounts on this site of previous trips we have been researching the Lodges and camps in Kenya and Tanzania and have a short list of places we would like to stay :

Singita Grumeti Reserves - Faru Faru Lodge
Kirawira Camp
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Governor's Il Moran Camp - Serengeti/Maasai Mara

Any thoughts on the scheduling or comments on the locations ?

Related to this trip we are considering Micato, CCAfrica, Africa Dream Safaris and Kiliwarriors, any preferences (other than the price !!) - recommendations

Thanks for any comments.

Sep 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM

A lovely expensive itinerary with these "we would like to stay" properties.

Problem. The Western Serengeti where Grumeti Reserves and Kirawira Camps are located is not the place to be in January. Besides, these two camps are practically adjacent to one another.

Not that you won't find game, but you'd do better in the Southern Serengeti or Ndutu areas where the migrating herds will be located and soon be calving their young. And with younguns, come the predators. If you want to stay at the same high-end type properties, I'd suggest Sayari South or CCA's Tanzania Under Canvas.

But, it may be a bit late for January bookings in these areas. Unless you check availability for the exact dates you'll be in-country you won't know if space is available... even at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge.

Assume you're arriving Nairobi so would suggest you visit the Mara first. This isn't peak time, but the Mara always deserves a visit. Then continue into Tanzania though the routing may have to be in reverse.

In the end, all will depend on availability at any property.

Sep 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi -any recomendations for a travel agent to work with, I'm based out of the US, East Coast.
Sep 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM

i would recommend sandi at africa serendipity as a great agent to work with as an expert on east africa! click on my name and choose the "Sandi are you out there" thread which will give you her email address.
Sep 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Sandi can't recommend her agency. With the search function on fodors not working well, I'll just put in the direct link to her agency.

http://www.africaserendipity.com/

Search this Thread