Kenya / Tanzania in October

Reply

Feb 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 207
Kenya / Tanzania in October

Due to a airline schedule change, my flights for October have fallen through. So now I have the chance to start from scratch in planning.

Here is what I am thinking: 2-3 days Nairobi and around, 2-3 days Masai Mara, cross to Tanzania, 2-3 days Manyara and Ngorongoro, 2-3 days Zanzibar. What do you think?

A few questions:

How easy is it to see the migration in Masai Mara in early October? Will most visitors to the park get to see it, or is it hit or miss?

If I wanted to skip Tanzania and find a good beach area in Kenya, with low-mid range accommodations, where would it be?

Thanks
trebex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
  #2
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 207
To follow up: I suppose my most important question is whether to do Kenya and Tanzania, or just Kenya. I want to spend a couple of days in a city (and Nairobi sounds more exciting than DAR), I want to see the migration, which would be in Kenya at that time, I want to see Ngorongoro and I want to see Zanzibar, though another nice beach area might suffice.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.
trebex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM
  #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,440
"I am going for two weeks in October 2012. Am I better off flying into Nairobi and out of DAR?

My goal is to spend a couple of days in a city, about a week on a safari and a few days on the beach."

Above is from your first post. Now you can fly into NBO and out of DAR, a smoother itinerary for what you want to do.

Are you sure you want to use 2-3 days for a beach when you likely have beaches near home?

In Oct, the Mara deserves at least 3 nights. This increases your odds of seeing the migration and maybe even a river crossing. Most people see big herds in Oct, whether they are crossing a river or not.

You could do

2 NBO (arrive there and one day in the city)

7 Mara--a week in the Mara would be outstanding in Oct. I've spent over a week several times and loved it.

3 Beach in Kenya--probably Mombasa somewhere

or

1-2 NBO (arrive there and one day in the city) o/nt NBO

3 Drive 5-6 hours or fly NBO to Mara on Day 3 o/nt Mara
4,5 o/nt Mara

6 Drive 5-6 hours back to NBO or fly, in time for flt from NBO to JRO. Early or late eve options NBO-JRO. o/nt JRO or Arusha.

7 Drive to Manyara and spend day o/nt Manyara

8 Crater--maybe pm trip (noon- 6 pm) o/nt Crater

9 Crater--maybe am trip (4 hours in morning) and back to JRO for early evening flt to Zanz. o/nt Zanz
10-11 Zanzibar
12 Depart for home
atravelynn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM
  #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,675
As there is no direct crossing between Mara and Serengeti and drive taking a full day... suggest you consider lynn's Opt. #2. Enter Tanzania at JRO by air from NBO or o/n NBO and next morning shuttle bus to Arusha, then as coordinated with tour operator, can make it onto Manyara by dusk.

Good luck!
sandi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 207
Thanks for the replies!
trebex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
  #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,440
Let us know what you decide!
atravelynn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM
  #7
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 207
I am set to fly to NBO and home from DAR. So I have plenty of time to decide on the actual route. I can spend the bulk of the time in Kenya and then fly to Zanzibar for the last couple of days. Or just spend the first 1-2 days in Nairobi and then fly to Arusha.
trebex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 15th, 2012, 09:46 AM
  #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,675
Do remember you'll need Visas for both countries and as entering Tanzania/Zanzibar, also the Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same. While it's often hit-miss when it comes to whether the border agents check everyone entering, if you don't have... 1) either not allowed in, or 2) give you the jab on arrival for a fee of $50.
sandi is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:37 PM.