Kenya /Tanzania-change in plans- please help!

Nov 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Kenya /Tanzania-change in plans- please help!

I thought planning for next Aug/Sept now would be soon enough to get my preferred accomodations but I was wrong! I had chosed Il Moran in the Mara but now tour operator has substituted Ol Seki. Has anyone stayed at Ol Seki or know about it?
Also substituted Plantation Lodge for Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, not even at the Crater! Would we miss a lot by not staying at the Crater somewhere?
Last substitution is Mnemba Island instead of Palms. Both luxurious it seems, but we don't dive and I wonder if Mnemba is worth it. Please give me your advise!
Nov 10th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Here's a description and some pics of Ol Seki -

http://www.bush-and-beyond.com/ol-seki-mara-camp.htm

Other than what's on that page, I don't know anything else about it.

Are all of the lodges at the crater rim full or just the Crater Lodge? How many nights are you staying there? If it's just an overnight and you're not too picky, you might consider the Serena, Sopa or even Wildlife lodge.

If you download the Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara files from this site -

http://www.go-safari.com/NCA/nca.htm

http://www.go-safari.com/Manyara/manyara.htm

and open them in Google Earth (you'll also need to download Google Earth), you can see the location of Plantation Lodge in relation to the crater. On that map it also lists the distance from Plantation Lodge to the crater floor as 51 km or 2 hrs 10 min.
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:14 AM

From what I've seen (photos only), the Plantation Lodge looks very nice. I would personally prefer to stay on the Crater rim somewhere. I like that view.

Good luck.
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
sandi

If you can get one of the other lodges at Ngorongoro Crater - Sopa or Serena, I'd take those - Patty's right on that, but it seems that even a year out much of East Africa is booked... the usual places that is.

As to Mnemba over The Palms... if they're not charging you more, go for it. The place is exclusive and you don't have to be diver or snorkler to just enjoy some R&R after safari. Do know, however, that Mnemba does not have air conditioning. If this is a concern, there is the Blue Bay on the Northest coast with a/c. A bit larger than Mnemba or Palms, but they have a/c and a lovely beach. You may want to consider their Sultan's Suite for a bit of luxury.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it works out.

Nov 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I got closed out of the Serena at the Crater - all the big tours are monopolizing the lodges around the crater. I have booked the Farmhouse - anyone know anything about it???

I'm hoping that closer to travel time - June- things might open up. It is the only disappointment I've had so far.

Carol
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:01 PM

We stayed at Plantation Lodge last year and it was a beautiful place, with superb food and service. Really enjoyed it coming back from the Crater and Serengeti.

But I would not substitute it from staying at the crater. I think Plantation is more a place to hang out and relax after a safari, or take an easy day inbetween.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
aby

i've not been to Mnemba Island, but was told about it. It's this fantasy of staying on an isolated island with top facilities & sevice.
U can see it as a "Bill Gates experience" - BG is supposed to own an island off Zanz...

i Stayed at Blue Bay it's nice - consider Sandi's good advice ! personally i'd take this opportunity of Mnemba & rely on the breeze

@ personally, i'd prefer a (more standard) lodge on the rim Serena/Sopa.
Can't get one single room fot Aug ?? - try to email Serena direct to check on it...

aby
Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM

Hi, try talking to tanzania serena offices located in arusha. I think u should probably get your room at serena
Sonali.

Search this Thread