Kenya / Tanannia places to stay

Jun 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Kenya / Tanannia places to stay

I have posted previously and again, I thank you all for your help and info. Reworking my ideas. Now looking at this....
Ngorongora Conv Area 1-2 days and staying at Ngor. Sopa Lodge - any ideas on a more exiting, less crowded (perm tent) type place to stay with good access or even in crater?

Not sure which order but also want to do the Tarangire Nat Park for 2-3 days at Tarangire Tree Tops or the Mawe Niga which is in the park.

Because we are going in early Sept of 2006 - we are gong to teh Masai Mara Nat Reserve for 2-3 days - looking at Sienna Springs Tented Camp, but really looking for suggestions for cool places near here. To top it off, do want to go to Zanzibar for 2-3 days and stay at Breezes Beach Club and willing to hear any suggestions.

thanks for all feedback. Molly
Jun 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
sandi

First, let me suggest you keep all posts regarding this trip under the same thread. It's easier for you to find and others to answer.

There are no permanent tent camps at the Crater. But know that the Crater is crowded all year 'round. The smallest place here is the Crater large, but is very expensive. So your other options at the site (on the rim) are the Serena, Sopa of Wildlife. Close by is the Farm House in Karutu - about less then an hours drive.

Tree Tops has recently received excellent reviews but is probably more expensive then Mawe Niga. Besides Tree Tops is about 45-min outside Tarangire. Something to consider.

For the Masai Mara - Siana Springs is about 30-mins Northeast of the Mara outside the park boundaries - entry thru the Sekenani Gate. A lovely camp that offers night drives which cannot be done if staying at a camp/lodge within the Mara. I don't know what you mean by "cool places near here." You're out in the wilderness - no McDs, 7/11s etc. What are you specifically looking for?

Breezes is a good choice in Zanzibar. But this is a rather large property. If you want something more intimate consider Matembwe or Pongwe which are located on the Northeast coast rather the Southeast as is Breezes. But on the Southeast coast there is also Blue Bay, The Palms, and Sultans Palace. Many choices.

Hope this helps.

Jun 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM

I don't know of any tented camps near the crater (and I don't think you can stay inside the crater), but for less crowded accomodations you could look into Plantation Lodge or Ngorongoro Farmhouse which are located outside of the conservation area. Your drive time to the crater would increase but I don't think it's too far out of the way.

In the Masai Mara, Siana Springs is located outside of the reserve to the northeast. Another location may provide better access to the migration at that time of year. Others will be able to offer more specifics, but I would think that the area around the Mara and Talek rivers would provide better sighting opportunities.
Jun 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM
sandi

Inside the Mara, the best viewing spot is from the Serena Lodge. Close-by and good viewing at the Mara and Talek Rivers are Mara Intrepids and Mara Explorer - both are owned by the same company that owns Siana Springs.

Jul 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Cant' believe my spelling - you all are such help and I need further info if avail.
we are now looking at early Sept 2006.
Staying at Little Gov for 3 nites in the Mara then to The Ngorongoro Crater for at the Sopa Lodge for 2 nites and to Tarangire to Treetops for 2 nites. then on to Zanzibar to stay at Breezes for 3 nites.

what I need to ask....
this is turning out to be a bit pricey, so I thought of cancelling the crater part and staying in the Mara for one more nite or Treetops for one more nite, though I think we'll see more in the Mara at that time of yr. And, in Zanzibar - not doing Breezes, but a place like Sunrise Guesthouse - anyone heard of this one? It does not have A/C and my boyfriend thinks it would be nice to have at the end of the trip. Is a/c that important with the offshore breeze? any other suggestions beside this for Zanzibar? Again, sorry about typos (especially in header!)
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM

Kamolly,

We stayed at Sunrise Hotel--it's definitely not a luxury property, but we liked it very much.

Georges, the owner, is Belgian (and a very nice man), and the desserts generally feature Belgian choclate. That was real draw for me.

It's an intimate property--we were two of 7 guests there last July. Apparently the week we were leaving they were getting busy, and would expect, hmm, maybe 24 guests for the rest of the summer.

The tide does recede for a good portion of the day, not sure whether the patterns are different in September. However, there is a pool, so if you want to sun you can.

The rooms are on the dark side. If you go, check the nets and patch them up with tape if there are holes.

We loved it because of the people. One night a couple staying there invited us and the entire staff to a dance party a few villages down. *Very* interesting.

I would say it's a casual, laidback place, but not backpacker-y.

Do check out climbhighsleeplow's recent photos of camps in Tarangire.

And enjoy your trip!
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Oh, also check out the Zanzibar section on the africa travel resource web site--it's how we picked Sunrise, We were also interested in Pongwe and Matemwe, but they were both booked.

And FYI, Georges has two (adorable) dogs, so if you don't like dogs, Sunrise isn't the place for you.
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM

Sorry I'm such a dingbat today, also meant to say:

IZanzibar: in July we didn't need AC--very breezy on the East side of the island. H-O-T in Stonetown. I am not sure about September, but you should be able to find that info somewhere.

Depending on your route/drive times, you could possibly stay at the Crater 1 night only; I wouldn't skip it. Although touristy (very) it is quite beautiful and teeming with wildlife--and safari vehicles.
Jul 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
sandi

For traveling Sept 2006, just about everything will be expensive as this is high-season. If you're thinking of trading off a second night at Ngorongoro for the Mara, go with the Mara; the Crater is raising fees for 2006 and another day will cost you another, I believe, $100.

In Tarangire, Tree-tops has gotten good reviews but it is (as mentioned above) about 45-minutes outside of the park and is more expensive then Tarangire River Camp.

Can't comment on your accommodations in Zanzibar nor whether you'd be comfortable with ceiling fans only. We were in Zanzibar earlier this month and we specifically went with a resort with a/c and glad we did. It was very hot and humid and the mossies were biting. While it was very comfortable at the pool/on the beach with lovely breezes, not so for sleeping. Only you know your tolerance for hot/humid, if September will be anything like beginning of June was. And yes, Stone Town is even hotter, if you will be stopping here.

Search this Thread