Search

Kenya Setting in New Film/ Cycling Article in Paper

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya Setting in New Film/ Cycling Article in Paper

just for enjoyment:
the new film the constant gardener was filmed in kenya and has some very pretty scenery.
also, in today's (sunday 9/4/05) nytimes travel section, a cute article about cycling through tanzania. photos of people.
just for your enjoyment!
kerikeri
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:18 AM
sandi

Absolutely great article in the Sunday NYTimes - biking across Tanzania - it's doable if you've got a strong butt - No Lance Armstrong's these bikers - interesting and quite funny and the photos of the children and community people were wonderful.

Caught "The Constant Gardner" when it opened last week - story interesting (won't tell... you've got to see for yourself), acting excellent, but more so, I needed my "Kenya fix" and the movie served that purpose so well - the people, colors, scenery.

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM

As I’ve read and enjoyed the book - and almost forgotten the plot - though mostly because I need what Sandi so aptly calls a “Kenya fix” - I have to see The Constant Gardener as soon as it’s shown somewhere near me.

This month a German film called “The White Masai” will have its premiere. Not that many German films are shown around here, but as the book – a true story about a Swiss woman who married a Samburu – was very popular a couple of years ago, maybe I’ll be able to catch it. It’s set on the coast and in Samburu.

I just remembered that I’ve read that Exorcist the Beginning is set in Kenya as well, but somehow I’ve not managed to see it.

Where can I find the Tanzania biking article?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I found it here: http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/09/0...ica%2FTanzania
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I just cought the Constant Gardener. Very powerful film, but I thought much of what they showed of Kenya was pretty bleak. Actually I was suprised they allowed filming there. (Unless the poor areas used in filming were just sets?)
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
sandi

cooncat -

Sorry to say, but that was not a film set. Yes, bleak... but those are the "slums" - could be almost anywhere in the world.

In fact, India Arie recently did a program for VH1 about her time working with a women's organization and how they deal with the HIV/AIDs problem in Kenya. Also, quite powerful.

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Sandi - I really didn't think it was a set. And yes, I know people don't live like this just in Africa. Still, I'm surprised they allowed movie cameras in there.

Sharon
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

Sandi, I am happy that you enjoyed learning about KENWA- Kenya Network of Women with AIDS - featured in the recent VH1 documentary - Tracking the Monster: Ashley Judd and India.Arie confront AIDS in Africa.

I have been working to help to raise money for KENWA since Christmas. KENWA provides life-supporting services to 6951 people (mostly women with HIV/AIDS).

KENWA promises its members that it will support their orphaned children. That is why it is supporting 1700 orphaned and vulnerable children.

KENWA's founder and executive director Ms. Asunta Wagura is known as the Mother Teresa of Nairobi for her 13 years of helping hundreds of thousands of people with AIDS in Nairobi's slums. She understands their plight; she's been HIV positive for 18 years.

The Constant Gardener was filmed in the slums that KENWA serves.

Helping KENWA has been the most fulfilling work I have ever done. You will want to help them too when you see how they are helping so many people with nowhere else to turn.

Next time you have a minute to spare in Nairobi, please visit KENWA. Tell Asunta that Mariacallas sent you. Be prepared for one of the most heartwarming experiences of your life.

And while you're there, please give a little back for the joy you have received from Mother Africa.

And don't be surprised if you see some celebrities there doing the same thing.

Visit KENWA's website at www.kenwa.org to learn more. [email protected]