Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya safari photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-safari-photos-283276/)

Bill_H Jan 15th, 2008 01:15 PM

Kenya safari photos

http://www.gustafsonphotosafri.com/k...ery/index.html

# 125 is my fave

matnikstym Jan 15th, 2008 01:28 PM

WOW! Incredible pics Bill! Too many good ones to pick a favorite, but 125 is nice!
Thanks

jenbertoni Jan 15th, 2008 01:43 PM

Amazing photos! This is getting me verrry excited for my first safari coming up in less than 3 weeks!

cary999 Jan 15th, 2008 01:45 PM

Thanks Bill, 175 great photos. Tough to pick a favorite. #125 is great, tough to get everything just right like that with all action going on. I'm sure you and Mrs will bring back many just as good (or better) in about a month.

regards - tom

Kavey Jan 15th, 2008 01:49 PM

Ooh what a treat.

I like shot 12 - I love how extreme wide angle makes the scene seem like it's the whole world almost!

21 is a pretty spectacular cheetah/ kili scene.

All the leopard shots are good, especially 23 - the one of it jumping down the tree trunk.

I've seen shots similar to 33 but love this one just the same - wonderful to see the motion of a cheetah frozen in this way.

I like many of the people portraits but 80 is particularly striking to me.

I like how 88 really contrasts the sunbird blues and greens with the flowery reds and yellows.

I find good silhouettes harder than people often imagine, so am impressed by 99.

123 is just beautiful... cliched it may be in terms of that particular mist and golden light but... it works!

I agree that 125 (and the series that follow) are great shots in terms of capture of behaviour - they interest me hugely. I wouldn't call them my favourites but I think I'm including aesthetics as well as pure interest in my reckoning.

130 I like - great motion capture and that direct eye contact too.

131 is a great rhino portrait, so rare to see an image when the rhinos are doing much other than standing eating or sitting resting.

That wide, wide fish eye is used to great effect again in 140. Really makes him king of his domain!

I think 151 is my favourite of the chimp (bonobo?) series both for the lighting and the pose.

And in between, so many more truly inspiring images...

REALLY makes me want to be there!

Bill_H Jan 15th, 2008 01:56 PM

<b>I'm sure you and Mrs will bring back many just as good (or better) in about a month</b>

Hey Tom, we spent two days in the jeep with Todd at Ndutu on our first trip to Tanzania and it was very educational. He has the 'eye' and also a gift for predicting what the animals will do next (he was born in Tanzania).

We can only hope to get a few shots that are up to his standards :)

Bill

eyelaser Jan 15th, 2008 02:08 PM

Spectacular, a real joy to see; each image stands on its own but as an album very special!
Regards,
Eric

afrigalah Jan 15th, 2008 02:50 PM

A wonderful collection. Makes me even more anxious to be back, trying again.

John

divewop Jan 15th, 2008 03:01 PM

Ummmm....Wow! is about the only word I can think of to say!

He certainly does have a good &quot;eye&quot; for composition!!

Bill_H Jan 15th, 2008 03:06 PM

BTW his 'tight' shots are with the Nikon 600 mm lens but in many images it seems he was probably using the 200-400 (like on the leopard coming down the tree) where he can zoom in/out to get the right framing as the critter moves. I thought of this while watching the photos and remembered the recent thread where the guy was trying to choose between the 200-400 and the fixed 300 f/2.8 ... Todd is a very enthusiastic proponent of the 200-400 f/4 VR.

Bill

cary999 Jan 15th, 2008 03:22 PM

And cropping. Many are cropped for composition. Leopard #23 obviously cropped. #24 likely not, #25 probably so. As for zooming, cropping later (in PC) can get you exactly the same composition as if you had zoomed on camera.

regards - tom

Katie_H Jan 15th, 2008 03:35 PM

Bill_H... love the photos---thank you for sharing.

Did you build that site yourself? Really beautiful and simple layout.

Bill_H Jan 15th, 2008 04:22 PM

<b>Bill_H... love the photos---thank you for sharing.

Did you build that site yourself? </b>

Hi Katie, I had nothing to do with this site, the photos aren't mine (darn).

However I know the photographer, Todd Gustafson. On our first trip to Africa we went with him and another professional (Art Morris) on a photo tour they were leading. I just came across Todd's site today for his Kenya 2007 trip and thought Fodor folks might enjoy it, especially given all the negativity coming out of Kenya today.

Bill

Chris_GA_Atl Jan 15th, 2008 04:47 PM

Bill, thanks for sharing these. I actually like #42 the best, but there are lots of great ones in there.

Chris

divewop Jan 15th, 2008 05:18 PM

I'm that &quot;guy&quot; who was trying to decide between the 200-400 or 300, only I'm a gal! ;)

I went with the 300 and it arrived a couple of days ago so I had a chance to play with it. It is superb. Superfast and superquiet focusing, even with the TCs. I tried the 1.4 and 1.7 with it and it still takes incredible photos.

I think I'll be OK with the 300 and my 80-400 for the Serengeti and Mara.

The rest is up to me, of course!

I'm leaving tomorrow morning so we shall see!

Bill_H Jan 15th, 2008 05:29 PM

Sorry divewop, my mistake :)

If you have the 80-400 too on a second body then you've got all the bases covered.

divewop Jan 15th, 2008 06:13 PM

No worries, Bill. I am somewhat of a &quot;tomboy&quot;! ;)

I don't think I would have been able to fit the 200-400 in my camera bag anyway!

I hope I've got my bases covered. My camera bag almost weighs more than my clothes bag! For a carry-on, this should be interesting! LOL...if I can get away with it! :)

Katie_H Jan 16th, 2008 06:53 AM

Thanks Bill for the explanation---they're great photos.

sundowner Jan 16th, 2008 07:01 AM

I really enjoyed seeing these photos. There are some really great ones. I wonder how many trips/days it took to get all of these. Thanks for posting the link, Bill.

cary999 Jan 16th, 2008 09:31 AM

Interesting question SD, was he able take all of these in one two week safari? I'd say yes, likely so, if he has the experience that Bill says Todd has.

regards - tom