Petra Hotel

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Louise

Petra Hotel

My husband and I are going to Petra for a few days next week. We are looking for an higher-end hotel but want to avoid the Movenpick. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 11:31 AM
lisa

Hi Louise
We stayed at the Petra Palace and it lived up to its name. It was all part of a package deal that included a private guide, (who was awful) a minivan(whose air conditioning could not cope with the July desert heat) and one night at the Petra Palace. I apologise but I don't know what the rates are.

The hotel was so magnificent,I could have quite easily stayed at the hotel and given the major sightseeing portion of Petra a miss. I had to be torn away. It had a beautiful swimming pool overlooking a gorgeous view, wonderful food and every staff member could not have been more helpful, friendly and polite. The rooms were great and the beds extremely comfortable. Marble everywhere. I think that it has been bought over by Marriott but you don't feel that you are in an American chain hotel.

Apparently there are now over 70 hotels in Petra. As we were there for such a limited time, I can't comment on the other hotels.
We ate lunch at the Cleopetra Cafe (just love that name so I had to put it in). It was fine.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:35 PM
louise

Lisa,
Thank you for your advice. Based on your enthusiastic review, we will definitely check it out.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:29 PM
jade

you can check out the petra forum, it's managed by intercontinental. it's located in petra villlage (5 min. walk to entrance of petra) and the hotel with the best views of petra.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 09:24 PM
ali

dear louise,

petra palace hotel is a3 star hotel near to the main enterance of petra ,it is nice ,but if you are looking for anice view of petra mountains ,you need to goto panorama hotel which is excellent or petra marriott which is a5 star hotel rates
petra palace $38 per pax in dbl room on hb basis /2 meals
panorama $50 per pax in dbl on hb basus
petra marriott $60 per pax in dbl room on hb basis

regards
ali

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Lori

Tayet Zaman gets rave reviews as a luxury resort bursting with character. It's a cab ride to the entrance of Petra, but if I were to go again, I would stay there.

Old May 5th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Lisa

Oops! I boobed.

This is too late for Louise , (sorry Louise) but I wnated to set the record straight for anyone doing a search an coming across this older thread.

I had recommended the Petra Palace as being wonderful. I recently found the sewing kit I had from the hotel and it is not the Palace we stayed at. It was the Petra Plaza which was so wonderful.

At the time when we spoke to some of the staff, they had said it was changing to a Marriott so I don't know if this is the same Marriott that others recommended.

But I was feeling awful that someone else may take my incorrect recommendation

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:27 PM
jordan holidays

dear lisa,

petra plaza is now under the name of petra marriott

regards
ali

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Pam

We just returned from and 8 day holiday in Jordan. We originally booked into the Taybet Zaman, but did not find it worth the price. NONE of the rooms have a private balcony with any chairs, even though the view is stunning. The only outside seating was in the "town square" (no view) or in the restaurant (no view) or in a bar area with people smoking around you. We visited in early April, and although the weather was hot, they had yet to switch over to air-conditioning. The road up to the Taybet and other hotels is being repaved and is a major construction zone. It took a solid 15-20 minutes to climb up there through the town.

After two days, we moved to the Forum Guesthouse right at the entrance to Petra. They have a new wing, and the rooms are very comfortable for 1/3 the price of the Taybet. The rooms in the older section looked seedy at best. The "Cave Bar" is delightful, the breakfast was mediocre, but it was located within easy walking distance to many other local or hotel restaurants. As an aside, we loved Little Petra, and did two wonderful hikes there where we hardly saw another tourist.

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Louise

We actually DID stay at the Petra Palace-- it wasn't at all bad, and since we spent 11-12 hours per day hiking through Petra, we didn't care too much about the accomodations anyway.Thanks for the advice nonetheless!

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Lisa

Louise, I'm sorry about the incorrect recommendation, but glad to hear it wasn't bad and you weren't cursing me.

From now on I'm keeping a travel journal to avoid this happening again.

Ali, thanks for the update on the Marriott.

Louise, if you are "still speaking to me", would love to hear about your trip. When we went, it was so hot that the thought of spending 11-12 hours a day hiking makes me want ot collapse in a dissolved puddle of human being.

How has tourism been affected by the situation in Israel?