Search

Kenya Safari- August 2008

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya Safari- August 2008

We just got back from an absolutely wonderful safari to Kenya. Our itinerary included Mountain Lodge (1 night), Samburu (2 nights), Sweetwaters (1 night), Nakuru (1 night), Masai Mara (3 nights) and Naivasha (1 night). Samburu and Masai Mara were truly outstanding experiences.

We booked our trip through Good Earth tours and were quite happy with their services as well as those of Safariline, their ground operators in Kenya.

Thanks to all on this forum whose comments/posts helped us plan our trip.

Here is a link to some our photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vamltd/KenyaSafariAug2008

We are now looking forward to our next Safari, possibly to Uganda in 2010.

waxwing
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM

hi wax

welcome back!

congrats especially to the pics of the bat-eared fox(es) and the serval!
do you remember where you did see the serval?
where did you stay in the mara?

hope you get back to normal soon ;-)

div
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

div,
We stayed at the Mara Serena. We saw a Serval cat on two consecutive evenings- both days in the Mara triangle fairly close to the Serena lodge.

waxwing
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
aby

Waxwing

Yeah, the Bat-eared Foxes got scarcer along the years. they and the Serval cannot really "bloom" in an ecosystem with such a high density of Hyenas and Lions

i've had an exciting "safari" through your pics to places i miss

aby

PS. you know which pics i miss?
- those of the Waxwings....
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
aby

waxwing

if i may correct
in Sweetwater: it's not Silver<font color="gray">y-</font>cheeked hornbill, which is a huge forest species with a prominent casque on top of the bill (female's is smaller).
you've photographed Crowned Hornbill
<i> Tokus alboterminatus </i>

aby
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

Jambo Waxwing,

You certainly don't waste any time! Thanks for the pics! I really enjoyed viewing them and reliving some of the magical moments...

We too just got back from Kenya. We were in Samburu the 20th-21st, Sweetwaters the 22nd, Nakuru the 23rd-24th &amp; Mara the 25th-30th. Would we have crossed paths?

Sweetwaters just had some rain before we got there, so unfortunately we didn't see too many animals by the waterhole. Would have loved to see the giraffes drinking.

Looks like you too had a fantastic trip. Kenya certainly lives up to its reputation, doesn't it?

Thanks again for sharing (and so quickly). You really know how to put the pressure on!

Enjoy the memories...
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi waxwing, I enjoyed your photos. Lots of cheetahs--lucky you. I also love giraffes and elephants, so thanks for those; they made me smile. Delighted you had a good safari. I too would like to go to Uganda in 2010.

somuch2c, welcome back!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

aby, thanks for the correct hornbill identification.

somuch2c, we were in Kenya from 10th-22nd and spent the next week in England. The weather in Sweetwaters was good and many giraffes came to the waterhole. We were told that Rhinos came to the waterhole quite regularly in the evenings, although we didn't see any on the day we were there. We also did a night safari there, which was quite disappointing in terms of action but a good experience otherwise.

Leely, we are looking forward to Uganda in 2010. We hope to combine it with another visit to either Samburu or Masai Mara.

waxwing
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM

Welcome back waxwing,

like somuch2c, we were in Kenya the same time than you, from 13th until 28th and we did a similar trip, first Samburu, then Nakuru and finally the best, Mara.

Your pics are great, thanks for sharing!! Pressure gets higher... what was the best experience you had?

regards
steff
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:19 AM

Welcome back, waxwing! Thanks for sharing your photos. Nice gerenuk!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Nice photos. We just got back as well and I hope to have mine uploaded soon. I'm also using picasaweb.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Welcome back waxwing. Your Samburu pictures are really interesting and it looks like the Serena is the place to stay if you can’t afford Elephant Watch. It’s always a pleasure to see a topi on a termite mound and it looks like an impala and a cheetah were imitating him. I miss Crescent Island where I didn’t catch any jumping impalas. The only picture I don’t like is the one with the wheat. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I really enjoyed your photos -- we had a similar itinerary for our trip last September, so these brought back happy memories. I especially loved the Samburu elephants in the river. What great moments you captured! Thanks for sharing.