Kenya Safari and Zanzibar -- Looking for suggestions

Feb 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Kenya Safari and Zanzibar -- Looking for suggestions

My family (wife, two kids ages 9 and 11 years) and I are planning a safari in Kenya and then a beach break in Zanzibar. We currently live in Namibia and have heard so much about Kenya that we want to visit before we leave Africa. This trip is planned for late December 2006 and early January 2007.
I have contacted Southern Cross and received an interesting (though somewhat expensive) itinerary:
Day 1 - Overnight Nairobi
Day 2 - Fly to Samburu Intrepids
Day 3 - Samburu Intrepids
Day 4 - Fly to Mara Intrepids
Day 5 - Mara Intrepids
Day 6 - Morning game drive and return to Nairobi
As I understand these are both very good locations and the camps are great! I have gone back and asked about a fly/drive option or strictly driving. I would be interested in adding a night if the cost drops.
The plan from there is to fly on to Zanzibar for about 7 days, then return to Nairobi for 2 or 3 days. While in Zanzibar we are looking at staying at the Ocean Paradise. I have heard and read about the length of time we should stay.....is 7 nights too long? We do enjoy "hanging out" on the beach.
I did receive another option from Naked Wilderness:
Day 1 - Narobi
Day 2 - Drive to Serena Mt Lodge
Day 3 - Drive to Sarova Shaba Lodge
Day 4 - Sarova Shaba Lodge
Day 5 - Drive via Nyaururu Falls to Lion Hill Lodge
Day 6 - Traverse the Rift Valley on the western rim to Siana Springs Intrepids
Day 7 - Siana Springs Intrepids
Day 8 - Return to Nairobi
Though less expensive, it is all driving and the locations are not as interesting, to me.
I apologize for such a long post....any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Bill
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
sandi

These are two distinctly different itineraries, let alone length of time, and not comparing apples-to-apples as to lodging. The Intrepid Camps are more expensive.

However, the 2nd itinerary is more diverse and give you different eco-environments.

You can have the same accommodations from Itinerary #1 in Itinerary #2. But realize that you will be traveling over the Christmas/New Year's Holiday and prices throughout will be high.

Consider:
Day 1 - Arv NBO - o/n
Day 2 - Visit Sheldrik Elephant orphange in the morning; lunch at the Carnivore; drive to Mt Kenya - o/n Serena Mountain Lodge
Day 3 - Drive to Samburu - o/n Intrepid's
Day 4 - Samburu - o/n Intrepid's
Day 5 - Drive to Mt. Kenya - o/n Sweetwater's
or
(Day 5 - Drive to Lake Nakuru (this will be a long drive; little time for game viewing of the flamingoes, pelicans, Rothschild giraffe, rhinos)

Day 6 - Drive to Lake Nakuru (gives you more time coming from Sweetwater's) - o/n Lion Hill
Day 7 - Early game drive at Lk. Nakuru; drive to NBO (the drive from Lk. Nakuri is 6-hrs on lousy roads); lunch at Tamarind (or other); fly to Masai Mara - o/n Intrepid's or wherever space available this time of year. Consider Governor's Camps
Day 8 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 9 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 10 - Fly to NBO; late afternoon flight to ZNZ - o/n here
Day 11 - ZNZ
Day 12 - ZNZ
Day 13 - Drive to Stone Town - late afternoon flight to NBO - o/n here or your homebound flight.
or another day in NBO.

The children below age 12 should receive a discount if sharing with a parent. There are triple rooms as some lodges/camps... but difficult to find quads. On ZNZ, some resorts to have family accommodations.

Hope this helps.

Feb 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,
I sent you an email offline, explaining more about we are looking for.
Thanks,
Bill

Search this Thread