Kenya safari

Oct 16th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Kenya safari

Has anybody taken the Kenya trip from goahead tours. Is it a good trip? good deal for 13 days for $2729? and is Feb the rainy season?? Thanks if anybody can answer and fill me in!
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:40 PM
sandi

The price is good - and yes, there might be rain in February.

I have the brochure in front of me and there are some questions you should ask GoAhead:

1. On arrival in London, how long a layover as if it is a BA, that flight doesn't depart till 10pm and I believe from Gatwick; if you arrive in Heathrow, how do you transfer and who pays; and do they provide a dayroom for you to relax, shower, or whatever.

2. On Day 7 they mention an "optional" nighttime game drive IN the Masai Mara? It is my understanding that the Mara, being a National Park, closes at 6:30pm till 6:30am next morning. Are they actually going into the Park? Or are they taking you out on the area around your lodge which is outside the Park?

If someone out there knows - when did they start doing drives at night in the Mara?

Be prepared for long drives on Day 7 from Lake Nakuru to the Mara (5-6/hrs); also on Day 9 returning to Nairobi (5-6/hrs); and again on Day 10 to Amboseli and Day 12 from Amboseli back to Nairobi.

I mention the long drives, because the roads are terrible, would strongly suggest a sports bra!!!

Don't forget items like Visa for Kenya (and if you choose to do the extension to Tanzania you'll need to obtain a Visa here too) - about $50/ea. extra, plus photos for each. It is also strongly recommended you take Malaria meds, and you might require a Yellow Fever innoculation - so check about these extras and any others with the tour operator.

While a 13-day trip, you only have 9-days in Kenya. Hope this helps.

Oct 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, good suggestions and info.
You can never go wrong with a good bra and good shoes, LOL!

Search this Thread