Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya Pics,September (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-pics-september-444781/)

PacoAhedo Oct 4th, 2008 07:17 AM

Kenya Pics,September

Hello,
3 Weeks ago we arrived from Kenya.It was a short trip of just 8 days.We visited Samburu 2 days,one day Nakuru and 4 days Masai Mara.
We contracted our trip with Gamewatchers and everything went well.
The first 2 days we went to Samburu.We where at Samburu Intrepids witch was a good place.
The good:
-Wonderful landscape.
-Lioness trying to hunt a generuck.
-Cheetah one hour by ourselves.
-Reticulate girafes,generucks and vulturine guinea folws.
-Birdlife.
-Elephants and buffalos crossing the river.
The not so good:
-Domestic dogs 2 times in the reserve.
-14 vehicles around one lioness.
-Goats,dogs,kids and donkeys in front of our lodge at the other side of the river.

Here is a link to some of the picture we took in our 2 day stay at Samburu.

http://www.pbase.com/africawild/samburu08

Paco.

Leely2 Oct 4th, 2008 09:31 AM

Paco, your photos are very beautiful. What a brilliant gallery.

I'm looking forward to more. Thank you for sharing!

Bill_H Oct 4th, 2008 09:48 AM

Wow, all that in just 2 days ... excellent photos as usual Paco, I always enjoy looking at your Africa pics. You understand the light better than most of us!

Looking forward to the photos from the rest of the trip.

Bill

kimburu Oct 4th, 2008 11:12 AM

Very enjoyable pictures. Those are wonderfully conceived and executed. That's quite some work! I also look forward to the rest.

Nyamera Oct 4th, 2008 02:13 PM

Wonderful, Paco! I’m looking forward to some exceptional topi pictures from the Mara. I saw that you had some amazing ones from 2003. Though there’s a caption that I don’t like.

Kavey Oct 4th, 2008 02:24 PM

Amazing! Really fantastic images!

Are they cropped at all or full frame as you shot them? Wonderfully sharp too.

May I ask which lenses you were using? (Not that interested in body).

Treepol Oct 5th, 2008 12:22 AM

Lovely photos that bought back memories of those Samburu specialities - vulturine guineafowl, gerenuk and reticulated giraffe.

Thanks,

Pol

PacoAhedo Oct 5th, 2008 10:30 AM

Hello and thanks for the kind words.

Kavey,some of the images are cropped and most are as shot .
Most of the pictures where shot with the Nikkor 200-400 f/4 and a Nikon D300.

Nyamera,not very good topi pictures in the Mara this trip.It was about lions,lions and more lions,and also cheetahs,leopards,serval...
simply fantastic.
Too bad the weather was not so good for photography.

Paco.

Otis72 Oct 5th, 2008 12:57 PM

Paco -

Wow. I thought I had learned my lesson on our first trip and paid a lot more attention to light on the second. Your photos are a primer for me on getting the light right. I was looking through your gallery and thinking "he got all the sunshine that we didn't", but I realize its more about patience and experience.

We were really knocked out by Samburu (August 2008) and especially enjoyed the gerenuk. We did not experience crowded sightings, but I think oftentimes that is just luck and who's sharing what on the radios.

Jim.

atravelynn Oct 5th, 2008 03:24 PM

Thanks for your comments on the good, the bad, and the ugly and for your absolutely beautiful photo gallery. You got my favorite bird in there--African Hoopoe. Your pictures produce an emotional response. They're not just photos!
And that's just Samburu!

rsnyder Oct 6th, 2008 04:11 PM

Paco, Superb. And, like atravelynn, the African hoopoe is our favorite African bird. Yours is undoubtedly the best photo I have seen. Welcome seeing more. Dick

Kavey Oct 7th, 2008 12:43 AM

Thanks Paco.
Many have a fantastic level of detail!

Patty Oct 7th, 2008 11:20 AM

Beautiful! Looking forward to more.

pattyroth Oct 7th, 2008 07:46 PM

Thanks for posting your photo site. I left a message there. Great reminders of our own trip. www.pbase.com/pattyroth