Kenya Park Fee Increases - July 1, 2006

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:54 AM
sandi

Kenya Park Fee Increases - July 1, 2006

FYI!

As of July 1, 2006 the Kenyan Park/Reserve Fees will increase from $30 to $40/day. Few locations are excluded, such as Loisaba and Lewa. Some tour outfitters have already included this increase in current itineraries; others have not. And, apparently, those trips already booked will not be grandfathered in. So be prepared for additional charges.

Admittedly, this seems a strange time to implement increases. October (after high-season) would seem a bit more appropriate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
aby

this is peanuts 4 nature-conservation
this is peanuts 4 NPs & GRs
this is peanuts 4 Maasai, Samburu or other land owners (in case they do get their share of the enterance fees)

A LOT of MONEY is payed for private Hoteliers taking advantage of the great asset that isn't theirs...
we (tourists) pay 100-1200$ a night
so what is 40$ for the ecosystem ?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Aby,
$ 100 a night is too much 4 me.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Nyamera,
I will send you the extra $10/day but don't stay too long. Okay? Now start saving and planning. Someone who loves Kenya as much as you do needs to get back there as soon as possible.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM

In my mind, its not high enough. I would prefer a higher minimum fee, with an increased payment based on the lodge (the ritzier and more expensive the lodge, the higher the fee). Its like a tip at a restaurant -- it takes the same effort for a waiter to bring me a $20 steak as a $50 steak, but I pay a higher tip to the latter.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the update, sandi.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:50 AM
sandi

In addition to the general park fees, note that many (not all) camps on private conservation lands (Mara specifically) also have a daily fee. These can range from $20 to $30 day.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Leely,
Asante sana but Kenya is too expensive for me at the current rates and a park fee increase is just another nail in my coffin. Saving and planning is not enough, I have to increase my income. The candlestick business sounds lucrative …

Better than higher park fees that go into the pockets of politicians would be to, instead of looking for the glitziest camps where food an guiding are nearest to perfection, look for the most community based ones with the best ecotourism practices. Though that’s easier said than done. Spending too much time in front of the computer always leads to negative information about what I thought were exemplary projects.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:17 AM

This increase is for grade 1 parks but expec the Mara, Samburu & Shaba to follow suit. It is increasingly expensive to run the parks and since a senior warden of twenty years experience earns only $1,000 a month it is only fair. How many of us pay $100 to go to a show in vegas? for two hours entertainment!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM
aby

Nyamera my dear !

I agree with you. personally i feel the same as you do. also for me a 100$ a night is too much & i prefer to camp since the main attraction is mother-nature & not food or accommodation...
(though in almost all my safaries i don't have to pay. If i do - i keeo the "non-important" expenses at a minimum)
however many of the writers on this forum have never spent 100$ a night but a lot more & this is why i noted "we tourists")
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
dlo

I think Thit Cho has the right idea. It would be unfortunate if many people did not have access to the parks because of high fees.A percentage from each lodge based on its fee structure could be funnelled back into the park while camping would be a minamal fee.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM

Again it is an issue with long term repercussions. There is so much pressure upon the parks and protected lands from surrounding areas they need to make money. A high park fee for the pure core of a protected area and zoned surrounding areas at decreasing charges may be the answer. Pushing tourism to expand into the surrounding and no lesser in quality areas, spreading the margins around the countries to lesser known and used parks would be a very positive side effect of increased park fees. I support the increase!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM

Aby,
I have to ask how you go about not having to pay for your safaris :-????

Mzeetembo,
I don’t see how raised fees will reduce pressure from surrounding areas as long as the money isn’t going to the people of those areas. The parks are already making a lot of money. Maybe if it drives tourists away from core areas and to community project in other areas, but from what I observed of Fodorite mentality, higher prices will only make core areas more attractive. I don’t know if it’s the same with Vegas shows; don’t think so … I wouldn’t pay anything for a show.