Kenya - money?

Jun 1st, 2002, 02:58 PM
dcp

Kenya - money?

Are their many/any ATM's available or would I be best carrying traveler checks? I'm also curious, do many places accept credit cards and if so which one(s)? I am leary of traveling with much cash on hand. I am going on a Mission Awareness trip and will only be in Nairobi for few days and want to make sure I can either get cash or use a credit card to make necessary purchases (food, water, etc.).

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Thyra

There are many ATM's in Nairobi, and most game lodges/hotels/ tourist areas accept credit cards, however, in small rural villages etc you may have trouble finding ATMS' or places that take credit cards. Most places do accept either Kenya shillings or US $.

Jun 5th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Jan Goss

DCP:

If you are going to be in the Nairobi area, cash, ATM, credit card or traveler's checks should be fine.

However, if you are away from the big city you may find it difficult to cash a traveler's check. I went to a bank in Voi and had the manager come out and ask me why I wanted $400.00 in cash for my traveler's checks. It took 45 minutes to complete the business.

In Mombasa, I went into another bank to cash a traveler's check and was told that you had to have an account at the bank in order to do so. My driver/guide stepped up to the teller and spoke in Kiswahili and finally the teller checked with a manager and then finally cashed the traveler's check - again taking about 30 minutes for a simple procedure. If you are patient it will be worked out.

Have a wonderful trip.

Jan

Search this Thread