Kenya -masai mara 2-night safari questions

Nov 11th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Kenya -masai mara 2-night safari questions

Hello -
I will be in Nairobi for meetings in early December and I have 3 days off so I'm planning to do a quick trip to Masai Mara for a safari. My main criteria are to see the most animals possible (any/all kinds), and be in an eco-friendly, Masai-friendly environment - ideally without spending a fortune. I've been looking mostly at places that are eco-rated and found a few possibilities:
- Rekero tented camp sounds good but a bit expensive.
- Kicheche and Saruni both sound good but seem far from the park. Also, I'm not sure whether they have Masai guides and how important this is.
- Basecamp explorer sounds good but they haven't gotten back to me re price/availability.

I would appreciate any advice/reviews/recommendations. My main concern is whether the cheaper options (Kicheche and Saruni) will have as many animals, given that they are outside the park.

Thanks!
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
sandi

Yvette7 -
Saruni is very expensive, small with only a handful of tents, and yes they do have resident Masai, as does every other lodge/camp in/around the Mara. All three - Rekero, Kicheche and Saruni camps - are included in the Bush Homes Group of accommodations which are relatively expensive versus lodges and some other camps.

The Mara is a Reserve (not a National Park) and belongs to the Masai, only leased to the Kenyan government. There are few accommodations "inside" the Reserve... most are actually outside located east, west and northwest. And for those accommodations outside the perimeter of the Reserve, all camp/lodge vehicles travel into the Reserve for gameviewing; though there is plenty of game to see on the way to/from the Reserve. Being outside the Reserve, has its advantage, as many of these camps offer night game drives (you will have to check which camps do and whether this is included in the price or offered as an option), which are not permitted if you are staying at a property within the Reserve.

As to "seeing the most animals possible", you have to remember, there is no guarantee as to what game and how much/many you will see on any given day or days. However, with 3-days, you will certainly have enough time to cover most all of the Reserve.

Nov 12th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi. That is helpful information.

Search this Thread