Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-itinerary-950075/)

trebex Sep 11th, 2012 06:56 AM

Kenya Itinerary

Please tell me what you think:

Day 1 - Arrive Nairobi 6:30 AM: Depending on time, visit Giraffe Manor, Animal Orphanage, Karen Blixen House

Day 2 - 5 Masai Mara Safari - get dropped off in Nakuru or Lake Navaisha - which one?

Day 6 - Lake Nakuru or Hell's Gate - which one?

Day 7 - fly to Mombasa - see Fort Jesus, mosques, temples, etc...

Day 8 - See anything I missed in Mombasa, then bus to Watamu. Any beach hotel recommendations? I emailed Ocean Sports but they didn't answer.

Day 9 - 10 - Gede ruins, Watamu Marine Park, some time on the beach, then late flight back to Nairobi

Day 11 - Hang out in Nairobi, 11:30 PM flight home.

Thanks

sandi Sep 11th, 2012 02:06 PM

... what do you mean by "get dropped off in Nakuru or Naivasha?" and do what?

So have to ask 'how are you getting to the Mara and then to these Lake areas?' and 'then to Naivasha which is where Hell's Gate is located?'

Guess also, the 'fly to Mombasa' is from 'where?'

What time of year are you traveling?

trebex Sep 11th, 2012 04:14 PM

I am looking at a 4 day 3 night safari to Masai Mara and then to be dropped off at Nakuru of Navaisha.

After Nakuru or Hell's Gate, I will get a driver to take me to NBO airport to fly to Mombasa.

I am traveling in early October.

Oriental1 Sep 12th, 2012 01:50 AM

Hi trebex,
Your safari looks very unorganized, first after masai Mara what would you be going to do in Nakuru? because i would assume its for the game drive and how do you do without the vehicle? In Naivasha or Nakuru have you booked your hotels? In all this areas that you are alone including Mombasa and Watamu I feel you need a guide or alternatively am hoping it is not your first time in Kenya and you know this places.

sandi Sep 12th, 2012 07:33 AM

... while at Nakuru/Naivasha, you'll need a guide for game drives at Nakuru and transport to/from/between here and Naivasha (for Hell's Gate)... and it's not like you just walk out into the road and hail a vehicle to take you somewhere.

Best you arrange for guide/vehicle or entire visit, NBO to Mara, Mara to Nakuru/Naivasha, back to NBO for flight to MOM.

trebex Sep 12th, 2012 07:38 AM

Thank you. Yes, I will definitely hire a guide. Do you recommend Lake Nakuru or Hell's Gate? Or my other thought is whether to fly to Mombasa and go from there to Tsavo East or at least Shimba Hills, since I want a chance to see elephants.

Patty Sep 12th, 2012 08:44 AM

You should see elephants in the Mara.

Hells Gate from what I understand (haven't been) is more for scenery and the opportunity to get out and walk so it depends on what you're looking for. Nakuru would be better for game viewing including almost guaranteed rhinos.

Tracey_Bell Sep 12th, 2012 10:15 AM

You could also include a visit to Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage in Nairobi on the day you arrive, if you want to get up close to some baby elephants.
I hardly saw any animals, just a few buffalo, when I went to Hell's Gate. That's not to say you wouldn't, because animals cannot be predicted. But Nakuru is buzzing with game so if that's what you want to see, then it would be a better option. But as Patty said, Hell's Gate does provide the opportunity to enjoy a park without a vehicle. Cycling in Hells Gate is very popular. And down the road is Green Crater Lake where you can do a walking safari in the early morning. Or cruise on Lake Naivasha or Lake Oloiden, getting nice and close to hippos if that's what you fancy.
Not sure if I've helped with your decision - both Naivasha and Nakuru have plenty to offer.

ShayTay Sep 12th, 2012 10:18 AM

Trebex, a safari isn't like most trips where you can "wing it", especially at this late date. If you're not working with a safari planner, I'd suggest you do so. Africa Serendipity is in New York where I see you're located. I'd suggest checking with them to see about booking all of this for you; they specialize in East Africa. There are a lot of components to a safari that I don't think you're aware of from your posts.

trebex Sep 12th, 2012 10:18 AM

Thanks again. So it seems that everyone would recommend Nakuru as opposed to Hell's Gate or continuing to Mombasa.

sandi Sep 12th, 2012 11:44 AM

At this late date for an October safari, suggest you contact an 'in-country' outfitter to pull this together for you. Some I can suggest would be:

- Eastern & Southern Safaris
- Southern Cross Safaris
- Wildtrek Safaris

Each of these have websites that a Google search will bring up, and then thru their 'contact' page, provide them the details of what you wish to accomplish: dates arrive/depart, where you wish to visit, type of accomm (lodges/tented) camps, estimated budget. Then see what they recommend and compare. Best to compare apples-to-apples as each might suggest different accomm (thus price differences), but it'll get you in the right direction.

All will provide meet/greet on arrival, guide/vehicle for transport to/from/between areas, Mara, Nakuru; book your accommodations*; park fees; flight to Mombasa (here you can often arrange trip to Shimba Hills or Tsavo East on your own... or these companies can assist), flight back to NBO for homebound. Good luck!