Kenya Iternary Comment

Sep 8th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Kenya Iternary Comment

I'm going for a short 5 nights trip to Kenya early October, my itenary is:

1. Aberdare and overnight at Ark Lodge
2. Leaving Aberdare for Equator and afternoon at Mt. Kenya Safari Club, overnight at the club
3. Lake Nakuru, Thomas Fall, overnight at Lake Nakuru Lodge
4. Rift Valley, Narok, afternoon game drive at Masai Mara camp, overnight at Masai Sarova Camp
5. all day game drive at River Mara, overnight at Sarova Camp
6. back to Naroibi

Would appreciate any comments on the iternary and lodge.
What is the chance of actually catching the migration?
How much is the balloon ride usually? Worthwhile?
I have 1/2 day at Nairobi before I catch my international flight. Any suggestions?
Sep 9th, 2004, 05:57 AM
sandi

Yes, you will catch the Migration. The herds are still in the Masai Mara, usually departing mid-to-end October. That said, I would spend more than 2-nights in the Mara.

I wouldn't do all those activities up north when your time would be better used in the Mara. Certainly would eliminate the Mt.Kenya SC; instead of the Ark would suggest a stay at the Serena Mountain Lodge which happens to be close to the MKSC. On your way to the Mountain Lodge, you can arrange to have lunch at the MKSC, see the grounds, then head to the Mountain Lodge for animal viewing at the "salt-lick" (waterhole) for overnight.

Lake Nakuru is fine (FYI - it's Thomson Falls that you pass getting here).

Then onto the Masai Mara for 3-nts.
Hot-air balloon rides run $400/person. I've never done, but know those who have and enjoyed the experience.

Upon return to Nairobi you can arrange for a visit to the Karen Blixen Museum and the nearby Giraffe Manor, then dinner at The Carnivore, before being transfered to airport for your homebound flight.

Sep 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I would also skip the Mount Kenya Safari Club. We stopped there for lunch last August on our return to Nairobi from Samburu, and the buffet lunch is average at best. If you skip it you could spend an extra day in the Mara, which is by far the highlight of Kenya, in my opinion.

Search this Thread