Kenya: Is this too much to pay for immunizations?

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Thyra

Kenya: Is this too much to pay for immunizations?

Hi There, now, I must assume that this amount is different for all people. But after just calling the UCLA Traveller's Medical office, I was quoted appox. $400.00 per person for vaccines to Kenya for 7 days, plus malaria pills (additional $75.00). I realize without specifics it's impossible for a non-medical person who doesn't know my medical history to tell me if this is a reasonable amount... but did anyone else pay that much?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:19 AM
kavey

I know I am in the UK where health services are very very different and of course we have the NHS.

Which means that some doctors offer immunisations such as these for free.

But in my knowledge even in fully private travel clinics immunisations don't usually cost more than £30 per person per injection.

The only reason this might be so high is if they are including the cost of the newest oral antimalarial drug in that cost, which I read about before my trip to Botswana and which I recall was still very expensive for one course of tablets only a few months back.

Can you get quotes from somewhere else?

Also, can you tell us what vaccines and meds these prices include.

Oops just reread that the extra $75 is for malarials so I can't see why vaccines are so much.

Maybe another person there in the US can comment better.

Kavey

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Deb

Hi,

I noticed you are considering the UCLA Medical Center so you are in So. Cal.

I went to Kenya in October and used the City of Pasadena Board of Health Travel Immunization clinic (phone other cities to see if they have the same sort of thing)

Phone #: 626-744-6128
Dates & Times Open (for Travel Immunizations, you MUST make appt):
Mon 1:15 - 4:30
Tue 8:00 - 11:15
Wed walk-ins only (not a good day inc. walk-ins for ALL immunizations)
Thu 8:00 - 4:30
Fri (unknown)

Recommended Immunizations for Kenya
1. Tetanus $25
2. Polio (good for 10 years) $40
3. Typhoid $55 get at least 2 weeks ahead
4. Hepatitis A $75 get at least 1 month ahead
5. Yellow Fever $75 get at least 10 days ahead (only recommended for Kenya, required for Tanzania)
6. Malarial Medicine (go to regular doctor to get prescription)

Note: My doctor wanted $98 per each shot.

By the way, I didn't get all of these recommendations. I got tetanus, Hep A (which is endemic in the So. Cal. area by the way) and Yellow Fever (because it lasts for 10 years and I am planning to go to Tanzania in the future). Total $175.00.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 08:40 AM
gino

Try your county/city health department. I received all of the immunizations listed with the exception of yellow fever for much less than you have been quoted. I went to my PCP for the malaria prescription which was about $50
for a 2 week supply (seven days should be half.) I got the oral live typhoid (7 yr)for $35, my hep a shots were about $30 a piece (2), tetanus was $25 and I received a polio/rubella combo booster for $30. This totals much less than $400... I'm from PA., I know things might be a bit more in CA. but the quote you received seems high....

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:25 AM
Thyra

Wow, who says the Africa board isn't as active????LOL.
Thanks for all the terrific tips. My nurse buddy, suggested I see if my insurance would cover the regular boosters (I have not had a booster shot since ....oh...20 years or so). But I will definately look into the city health dept...as suggested, thank you all so much!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:56 PM
buck

Hi Thyre,
Do you happen to belong to Kaiser in So. Cal. If you do go to their travel clinic and all the shots are free, not even a co-payment. We are in SF bay area and went there for our trip to Kenya and got everything we needed for nothing out of pocket. Have a nice trip, Buck

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Felicia

Ditto to what Buck said--I belong to Kaiser and all my shots were no charge--I got yellow fever, cholera, polio booster and hepatitis A. I heard from friends that on the outside they can run from $400-600 privately. I would shop around. Have a great trip.