Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya: Is this too much to pay for immunizations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-is-this-too-much-to-pay-for-immunizations-134015/)

Thyra Jan 2nd, 2002 03:41 PM

Kenya: Is this too much to pay for immunizations?

Hi There, now, I must assume that this amount is different for all people. But after just calling the UCLA Traveller's Medical office, I was quoted appox. $400.00 per person for vaccines to Kenya for 7 days, plus malaria pills (additional $75.00). I realize without specifics it's impossible for a non-medical person who doesn't know my medical history to tell me if this is a reasonable amount... but did anyone else pay that much?

kavey Jan 3rd, 2002 03:19 AM

I know I am in the UK where health services are very very different and of course we have the NHS.<BR><BR>Which means that some doctors offer immunisations such as these for free.<BR><BR>But in my knowledge even in fully private travel clinics immunisations don't usually cost more than &pound;30 per person per injection. <BR><BR>The only reason this might be so high is if they are including the cost of the newest oral antimalarial drug in that cost, which I read about before my trip to Botswana and which I recall was still very expensive for one course of tablets only a few months back.<BR><BR>Can you get quotes from somewhere else?<BR><BR>Also, can you tell us what vaccines and meds these prices include.<BR><BR>Oops just reread that the extra $75 is for malarials so I can't see why vaccines are so much.<BR><BR>Maybe another person there in the US can comment better.<BR><BR>Kavey

Deb Jan 3rd, 2002 07:59 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>I noticed you are considering the UCLA Medical Center so you are in So. Cal.<BR><BR>I went to Kenya in October and used the City of Pasadena Board of Health Travel Immunization clinic (phone other cities to see if they have the same sort of thing)<BR><BR>Location: 1845 N. Fairoaks (near Washington Blvd.)<BR>Phone #: 626-744-6128<BR>Dates & Times Open (for Travel Immunizations, you MUST make appt):<BR>Mon 1:15 - 4:30<BR>Tue 8:00 - 11:15<BR>Wed walk-ins only (not a good day inc. walk-ins for ALL immunizations)<BR>Thu 8:00 - 4:30<BR>Fri (unknown)<BR><BR>Recommended Immunizations for Kenya<BR>1. Tetanus $25<BR>2. Polio (good for 10 years) $40<BR>3. Typhoid $55 get at least 2 weeks ahead<BR>4. Hepatitis A $75 get at least 1 month ahead<BR>5. Yellow Fever $75 get at least 10 days ahead (only recommended for Kenya, required for Tanzania)<BR>6. Malarial Medicine (go to regular doctor to get prescription)<BR><BR>Note: My doctor wanted $98 per each shot.<BR><BR>By the way, I didn't get all of these recommendations. I got tetanus, Hep A (which is endemic in the So. Cal. area by the way) and Yellow Fever (because it lasts for 10 years and I am planning to go to Tanzania in the future). Total $175.00.

gino Jan 3rd, 2002 08:40 AM

Try your county/city health department. I received all of the immunizations listed with the exception of yellow fever for much less than you have been quoted. I went to my PCP for the malaria prescription which was about $50<BR>for a 2 week supply (seven days should be half.) I got the oral live typhoid (7 yr)for $35, my hep a shots were about $30 a piece (2), tetanus was $25 and I received a polio/rubella combo booster for $30. This totals much less than $400... I'm from PA., I know things might be a bit more in CA. but the quote you received seems high....

Thyra Jan 3rd, 2002 09:25 AM

Wow, who says the Africa board isn't as active????LOL. <BR>Thanks for all the terrific tips. My nurse buddy, suggested I see if my insurance would cover the regular boosters (I have not had a booster shot since ....oh...20 years or so). But I will definately look into the city health dept...as suggested, thank you all so much!

buck Jan 6th, 2002 02:56 PM

Hi Thyre,<BR>Do you happen to belong to Kaiser in So. Cal. If you do go to their travel clinic and all the shots are free, not even a co-payment. We are in SF bay area and went there for our trip to Kenya and got everything we needed for nothing out of pocket. Have a nice trip, Buck

Felicia Jan 7th, 2002 05:43 AM

Ditto to what Buck said--I belong to Kaiser and all my shots were no charge--I got yellow fever, cholera, polio booster and hepatitis A. I heard from friends that on the outside they can run from $400-600 privately. I would shop around. Have a great trip.