Reload this Page >

Restaurants in winelands - South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:28 AM
james

My family and I will be in the winelands in a months time. Does anyone have any good/bad reports of local restaurants?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:24 PM
L

Just returned from SA ... if Cape Town is any guide, you are in for a treat. Great food. Terrific wines. Wonderful prices. Ask your concierge, or look at guidebooks for tips ... they are reliable, at least we found them to be. Enjoy your trip. Did you see the posting by Jcameron just back from SA? Sounds like he might have some information if you'll be in his areas. Ciao

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Franz

Le Quatier Fransais, Ballon Rouge in Franschhoek, are good

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Bert

Some time, ago, we had several good friends over for dinner at Bosman's Restaurant at the Grande Roche, a country house hotel in Paarl. The food, a 5 course 'Flavours of the Cape' menu, was one of the most outstanding meals I have ever enjoyed. Coconut Crusted Crayfish Tail and Samoosa for a starter; Tandoori flavored Karoo Lamb Loin, and a delicious Loin of Springbok with Pinotage flavored butter sauce were the high points for me. It certainly was not inexpensive at just over US$40 per person, but it was a world class meal in every respect. The excellent wine selection and the superbly choreographed service contributed to a most memorable evening. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:32 AM
Chris

I agree with the advice on Bosmans - fantastic food and service. A lot of the wineries have excellant eating oportunities. Try a picnic at Boschendal, great food too at Spier, Vergelergen, Delaire, etc..

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Celia

Here are two restaurants we liked in Stellenbosch in 1999. Volkskombuis serves traditional Cape Dutch food in a traditional looking Cape Dutch building. The food was unusual and very good. We also liked 96 Winery Road, which served an eclectic gourmet menu in a large dining room decorated with very interesting modern art along with antique farm implements. Both had excellent wines, of course.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Elizabeth

Last January I had the pleasure of eating at Tokara, at the new Tokara winery, right next door to Thelema. It was, without a doubt, one of the best all around dining experiences I've ever had! The Menu was only matched by the wine list, the beautifully designed building and unbelievalbe landscape views! Enjoy!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:54 PM
miriam

We ate at Villaria Vineyards-Recommended by our SA friends-you eat at apicknic table - tablecloths. Good food. My favorite was Laborie Vineyard. We were at both places for lunch. Would definitely go back.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:59 AM
robbie_tt

there r so mny places in winelnds 2 try! chamonix in frnchhook was our fav.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:05 AM
thewinehunter

Good advice above - I will add the Lady Phillips restaurant at Vergellergan in Somerset West, and also the restaurant at Delaire. Lovely views, and ridiculously cheap with Euro's/$/&pound;'s. We also went to Bosmans in Paarl, and thought it rather formal but good. Don't forget Nando's!!!

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:49 AM
james

Just back - I'll add La Couronne, La Petit Ferme, Bijoux all in Franschhoek. Thanks for the tip about 96 Winery Road - really a very special restaurant, the best we found apart from Bosmans at The Grande Roche which is still head and shoulders above anything else in SA.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Chris

<BR>Cafe Europa in SeaPoint... OnTheRocks in Blauberg. Two of Capetown area's best, in my humble opinion...<BR><BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Celia

You're welcome, James, I'm glad it was helpful. Did you stay in Franschoek? Last time we were in the area we were charmed by the town, but didn't stay overnight. We think we will stay there next time, though, if possible.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 07:43 AM
james

Celia. I think Franschhoek is well worth a stay. We self catered this time, but have stayed at Le Quatier Francaise - lovely - we also saw some really super self catering cottages at Le Petite Ferme which looked very glitzy with plunge pools etc. Le Ballon Rouge in town has inexpensive rooms.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Celia

Thanks for the info. We like to self-cater in SA, so we will look into all the options.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Terri-Ann

I'll just add Monneaux in Franschoek - we thought it very stylish - either inside or outside. Delicious food too!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 12:07 AM
Tod

what a great piece of info. ive just been to sa and had only 2 days in winelands. not enough. would add la petite ferme. outstanding view and very friendly service. a special way to spend a lunch even if it is a bit expensive.