Kenya in November: Too humid?

Aug 31st, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Kenya in November: Too humid?

I am considering joining a group tour to Kenya and northern Tanzania in November 2005. It's an organized tour, so obviously I can't change the dates.

The tour is attractive to me for many reasons, but one factor that is preventing me from making up my mind to go is that I have read that November in that part of the world is one of the most humid times of the year.

I have never travelled outside North America and Europe, so will be glad of comments. I don't tolerate hot, humid weather very well. We will spend much of our time outdoors (of course).

Is there at least relief at night-time? If it's too hot and humid to sleep, then I really need to think hard about whether this particular tour is the right one for me.
Aug 31st, 2004, 11:19 AM
sandi

We've always traveled in November, and while this is the "short" rain season, rarely to you have but a brief shower in late afternoon or overnight. However, it doesn't rain daily - we've never had more than one or two brief showers on any of our trips, which settles the dust on the roads and I can't recall it ever getting humid. In fact, I marvelled that it didn't. And for someone who lives in NYC, I know humid. The mornings and evenings are cool and very comfortable for sleeping.

In fact most of the places you will likely be visiting are at high altitudes (above 2,500-3,000'/others as high as 7,500')though you'd never think so when you see the open savannahs before you. The higher you are, the cooler it is.

But just as animal sightings cannot be guaranteed, neither can the weather. There have been wet seasons (Apr-May) when there has been little or no rain. Another nice things about travel to East Africa is the fact that daytime temperatures are relatively constant year-round, (70-80 degrees) with cool to cold mornings and nights (50-65 degrees). Though Tanzania might be somewhat hotter, sometimes reaching daytime temps of 85-degrees.

Because of this, it is rare to find air conditioning at any of the accommodations, except for those in urban/coastal/island (Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam, Mombasa, Zanzibar) hotels. So unless you are visiting the coast or any off-shore islands, I doubt you will find humidity to cause sleepless nights.

Aug 31st, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for this helpful information.
Aug 31st, 2004, 01:29 PM

Having lived there for half my life, I can vouch for all that Sandi says. Nairobi (5000 ft above sea level) and the highlands of Kenya will rarely be humid as North Americans know summer humidity. On the other hand, the evenings and early mornings can be downright chilly so pack a light sweater. It will only be humid around the coastal areas (sea level) but almost all the hotels there have AC to the rescue, and the natural off shore sea breezes.

Enjoy !

Search this Thread