Kenya - Don't cancel your trip

Sep 27th, 1997, 08:39 PM
Julie Smith

Kenya - Don't cancel your trip

I live in Kenya - Mombasa to be exact. Despite the continuing troubles on the south coast here, they are localised and not really affecting the rest of Mombasa or the rest of country too much. In fact if you were staying anywhere other the south coast, as a tourist you wouldn't know anything is happening.

This isn't to make ligth of Kenya's problems, but right now tourism, one of the main industries here is being crippled by the press coverage.

If you've booked to come - don't cancel, if you are thinking of coming - then book. In fact it is so quiet here at the moment, uncrowded hotels, beaches and game park lodges, it almost seems like the perfect time.

If you wish ot contact me, please write directly to my email address.

Oct 4th, 1997, 05:48 AM
Hal Gershanoff

Nice to hear your comforting comments about the safety of tourism in Kenya. My wife and I are planning a two week game viewing trim (organized by ElderHostel) beginning in early December. Actually, we will be spending the prior week (this time on our own with a local guide) mountain gorilla trekking in Uganda.

Since at the beginning of the trip we will be flying first into Nairobi in route to Entebbe and Kampala, Id be interested in your thoughts about the wisdom of making that trip by train, instead of flying there.

Any other thoughts on how we can make our trip a more memorable one will be appreciated.

Search this Thread