i'm lazy and tired- ccafrica vs ws for botswana??

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm lazy and tired- ccafrica vs ws for botswana??

hi everyone...you must be sick of me.

yes i have read the same posts over and over but i would like a flat out answer, if possible, on what you think.

my instincts tell me that ws has more choices AND it has an option in zambia, so that should be the answer, right?

anyone? thank you!

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
HappyTravels

Easy - WS and Botswana. Give us more of a challenge next time. LOL, go and have fun.

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:38 PM

kerikeri, you can probably guess what we'll say by now.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:47 PM

kerikeri,

All I can say is that I have had an incredible time in Zambia each of the last two years. There are some amazing lodges and their walking safaris are second to none.

Chichele Presidential Lodge would be double the price if it were in Botswana or South Africa and I honestly thought more highly of Chichele visit than I did of my Singita visit. While it is not possible to see the Big Five in South Luangwa, as it is in the Sabi Sand, just the amount of antelope (especially Puku and Impala), combined with possibly the highest density of hippos and crocodiles, along with lions, the occasional leopard and the possibility of seeing Wild Dog, makes Zambia an incredible place.

While I would love to see Botswana on my next visit, I just don't know if it will be in my budget. I mean the very best lodges in Zambia average out to about $350 per person per night sharing, and this is half of lodges of the same quality in Botswana and South Africa.

I suggest you visit the following websites:

www.kaingo.com
www.star-of-africa.com
www.robinpopesafaris.com
www.normancarrsafaris.com
www.bushcampcompany.com

I personally give my highest rating to Chichele Presidential Lodge and Kaingo. Kaingo is not as fancy but the owner, Derek Shenton, personally runs the camp and the gameviewing activities are second to none, with THREE game viewing activities offered daily. If you take a look at my online photo album at www.ofoto.com, you will see a lot of great hippo photos, and the majority of them were taken either in Kaingo's hippo hide or from right outside my chalet overlooking the Luangwa River below.

And that is just the half of it!!!

Besides South Luangwa, in Zambia you have the Lower Zambezi National Park and Victoria Falls. One has not experienced Africa, until they have had the experience of canoeing the Zambezi River. Take a look at some of these wonderful camps:

www.sausagetreecamp.com
www.kasakariverlodge.com
www.chiawa.com

Plus in Victoria Falls (Zambian side), you have Tongabezi and Sussi Lodge, both great looking places.

The Zambian people are the friendliest I have ever met, although I have not yet been to Botswana.

I think an awesome itinerary in Zambia would be something like follows, all prices are including transfers from Joburg:

Kasaka River Lodge (4) $3,500 USD
Kaingo (3) $2,000 USD
Chichele Presidential Lodge (3) $3,000 USD
Tongabezi (2) $1,500 USD

So, for $10,000 you can have a wonderful 10 night Zambian safari + Victoria Falls. Prices aside, it will be an awesome itinerary, especially if you visit between August - October. I love South Luangwa in June, but found Lower Zambezi to be quiet in June as far as wildlife viewing (but I was assured that by August the wildlife viewing is very good).

Just take a look at the links that I gave you before you make a decision. Make an informed decision!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:29 AM

kerikeri,

Here is an excellent link written by a first time visitor (but longtime safari camp manager in Botswana) that so beautifully sums up the Zambian experience:

http://www.aardvarksafaris.com/pdfs/...d%20Zealot.pdf

I will only cut and paste the final paragraph:

>>>Zambia reminded me so much of the Botswana I had known fifteen years ago. Where the bush, its sights and sounds, are what really matter. You come away feeling you have felt it, smelt it and learned a great deal more about it. It certainly makes me smile waking up in a reed and thatch cottage and watching the sun rise.<<<

The time for Zambia is now before everybody else wakes up to Zambia and the price approaches South Africa/Botswana levels.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:52 AM
HappyTravels

certainly check out wilderness safaris' website - and see their newsletter updates. a very reliable firm, and yes, you can certainly take whatever they say at face value. no need to be suspicious at all. WS reallt delivers! Have used them several times, the last ebing lasdt week, and they were 100% perfect in every facet. Couldn't say anything but the best about WS. Remember, it's not only price, although that seems to be the major focus in most of these threads.

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:39 PM

I only have experience with ccafarica -- and two of the three lodges we stayed at in May (on a ccafrica package) were their own, and located on private reserves; the other was a Desert & Delta camp next to a national park (Savute). The guides and food were far and away superior at the ccafrica camps. The woman I worked with (she worked at headquarters in Johannesburg) was excellent, the staff we met in Maun were helpful (took us to a pharmacy before we headed out to the camps)and the managers at the camps were exceptional. The wildlife will be remarkable anyplace you stay in Botswana. It was my experience that the website pictures for all these places accurately depicted what we experienced.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for being so tremendously helpful. i came to this board knowing absolutely nothing and now i feel i know enough to ask *some* questions and still you have been so generous with your time and answers. thank you for that!
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM

kerikeri,

Another reason to consider Zambia:

http://www.zambiatourism.com/travel/...arks/kafue.htm

http://www.safaritrekafrica.com/zamb...ce/default.htm

http://www.busangatrails.com/busanga...e_ver3_008.htm

I am intrigued by the claim on one of these links that Busanga Plains offers the best lion viewing in Africa. I don't necessarily believe it, but if it is anywhere near to that in certain parts of Botswana and East Africa, then I will be satisfied.

I have received pricing for Kafue and the prices are very reasonable, usually around $325 per person per night sharing and that includes air transfers from Lusaka (for a minimum 6 night stay).

Although for a first time visitor to Zambia I would say that South Luangwa is definitely not to be missed, and I would definitely suggest the Lower Zambezi as the next spot, Kafue also looks like a great place.

I think I can have the following 11 night Zambian itinerary, including transfers, for about $7,000 USD in high season:

Lunga River Lodge, Kafue NP, 3 nights
Busanga Bush Camp, Kafue NP, 3 nights
Kasaka River Lodge, Lower Zambezi NP, 4 nights