Kenya and Tanz - cash? travelers checks? cards?

Nov 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Kenya and Tanz - cash? travelers checks? cards?

We're going to Kenya and Tanzania on a private safari and staying in lodges. Most everything is prepaid, however we'll obviously need money for incidentals at the lodges (water, beer, etc.), tips, and souvenirs.

When I've traveled to Egypt and China, using an ATM card at a machine in the hotel lobby was SUPER convenient. But that doesn't seem like an option for the lodges in the national parks in Kenya/Tanz.

We also got burned with this strategy in the Galapagos because the one ATM was "cirrus" and our card was "plus".

Anyone have an opinion on the best/least risky way to bring money?
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Toshi,
Having been to East Africa three times now (who would have thought?)I suggest bringing cash in various denominations and perhaps wearing a money belt. Unless you plan on purchasing expensive souvernirs where a credit card might be handy I would leave them at home. I don't recall having any problem tipping and settling accounts in US $$. You might get a better rate with local currency. Your safari provider should be able to advise on such. The money belt was not inconvenient as I usually anticipate when I would need money and would have it ready ahead of time.
Dick

Search this Thread