Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kenya: Amboseli or more Mara? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kenya-amboseli-or-more-mara-690555/)

barefootbeach Mar 23rd, 2007 04:39 PM

Kenya: Amboseli or more Mara?

Hi,
I had planned to spend 2 nights in Amboseli at Tortilis...2 nights in Shaba at Joy's or Samburu at Larsen's...and 2 nights at Masai Mara in either Little Governor's or Mara Explorer. However, I just got a recommendation from a tour operator that I skip Amboseli and add a third night at Masai Mara. What are the pros & cons? I wanted to get that view of Kilimanjaro...but also heard I may not see it through the clouds...also that Tortilis is a great camp but Amboseli can be dusty, crowded and not that scenic? Any opinions? Thank you!

atravelynn Mar 23rd, 2007 05:07 PM

The big variable is when you are going. That makes a difference in the answer to your question.

Also, is it the time or the cost that is the constraining factor? Could you add just a third night in the Mara if the cost was of the trip remained about the same? Tweaking your accommodations could result in some savings. Or are you limited by the # of days?

Finally, if you add one more night in the Mara, would you stay only one night in Amboseli to keep the total time the same? Or would you skip Amboseli altogether and end up with a trip that is one day shorter than what you have listed?

Sorry for all the questions to your question.

barefootbeach Mar 26th, 2007 09:16 AM

Hi atravelynn,
We'll be traveling in late Jan. 2008.
The initial recommendation to cut Amboseli was to avoid the flight back to Wilson and then on to Shaba(more expensive with a charter flight) or Samburu...saying that we wouldn't see that much there that we wouldn't see in Shaba or Samburu. And she thought we were shorting Mara by only being there 2 nights...so while I do want to keep costs down (we're also doing a week in Tanzania and some days in Zanzibar) the time of extra days is not an issue. Maybe we should stay 3 nights in Shaba or Samburu? Do you have a preference between the two? I heard it's more scenic in Shaba but more animals in Samburu...I'm leaning toward scenic. Thanks!

atravelynn Mar 26th, 2007 09:28 AM

Late Jan and a week in Tanzania is a good combo if 3-4 days are in the Serengeti. That takes pressure off of spending more time in the Mara in my opinion.

Only been to Samburu, not Shaba, and really enjoyed the variety and abundance of wildlife. I have the same impression as you of the difference between Shaba and Samburu.

If your goal is to maximize wildlife sightings and encounters then skipping Amboseli, doing 3 Mara nights, and 2-3 in Samburu would be a good plan.

If you want a shot at views of Kilimanjaro and to see different habitats and scenery, then your 2 night plan in different areas works best.

Good luck!

dma Feb 11th, 2010 05:59 AM

Hi, I would be very interested in what you decided. I will be in Kenya in late June, traveling with a group near the Mara and will have several extra day. I was trying to decide if I should spend 3 nights in the Mara and than travel back to Nairobi, spend the night and then fly in the morning to Amboseli for two nights or spend the entire time in the Mara at two camps and minimize the extra night in Nairobi and extra moving/expense. I will be traveling with 2 kids.

I've gotten advice to just stay in the Mara (animals are better) and Mt Kili will be difficult to see in late June.

Thanks.

barefootbeach Feb 14th, 2010 09:17 AM

Hi dma,
We did go to Amboseli for 2 nights and spent 3 nights in the Mara. I probably would avoid the traveling and stay in the Mara, if I were you. We did love Tortillis Camp, and enjoyed our time at Amboseli, but perhaps it was because it was our first camp. It might be more of a letdown after Mara. You can read all the details our experiences at both places in the trip report I wrote...."Trip Report: Kenya: Amboseli 1st" in February '08.

TigerPhotog Feb 17th, 2010 10:22 AM

Just heard the news that due to severe droughtin Kenya, animals are being shipped/air-lifted to Amboseli for the lions to eat...ouch.

sandi Feb 17th, 2010 12:02 PM

There are certainly plenty of antelope for the lions to chow down on! For as many cute Thompson's (tommies) gazelles I've seen brought down by predators, they're my favorite, but do multiply like chickens (or rabbits). Poor things!

mhcpita Feb 19th, 2010 04:36 AM

I would recommend Amboseli, and Tortilis in particular. It has an entirely different 'feel' to it and is an experience all it's own. The display of 200+ elephants right outside camp early last week was simply amazing! It may seem odd on safari, but the pool at Tortilis was a very relaxing, enjoyable break from all the sights and sounds. I know one doesn't go on safari to lounge by the pool, but the pace of it all really made it a welcome pleasure.