Search

Kenya Air Charter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya Air Charter

Hi,

Has anybody here charter a plane in Kenya? I'm planning a holiday in Kenya for next year and would like a rough idea on charter prices and recommendation for a reliable charter company.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM
sandi

Where do you plan to visit that the scheduled flight don't go?

If to destinations not on the scheduled flights, charters prices are based by distance and number of occupants to determine size of plane.

Whomever is booking your land portion can book your charters. These charter operations are as reliable as the scheduled operators as Air Kenya and SafariLink.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,

A group of my friends have just returned from a tour of Kenya(they went with A&K) and after talking to them I want to take my family next year. Since I've been to Egypt with A&K I know that I can arrange things cheaper and properly in better lodges, camps or hotels then those used by A&K. I'm in the planning stage for a August 2006 trip and I've received quotes for a private safari from a few tour operator(CC Africa, Let's Go, Gamewatchers etc).

I've picked out 3 lodges/camps that I want to stay in for my trip and I'm asking the pros to do the rest. The camps that I've chosen(from reading the reviews over here at Fodors) are: Little Shompole, Cottars 1920 and Bateleur.

I've been told that I will need a private air charter for the Nairobi to Shompole camp and from Shompole to the Massa Marai sector. So far each tour operator have quoted prices from 3 different air charter company. I'm a bit concern about the safety regarding chartering private planes in Kenya so if anyone here have used a private air charter in Kenya I would be most grateful to know your opinion on the flight and cost.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:54 AM
sandi

Which Shompole Camp? there is Shompole on the border with Tanzania which is beautiful, you can get her by road from NBO, only about 3-hrs. There is Little Shompole, which I believe is now called Naibor.. please check this. And from here to Cottars, by road, or fly? Then you'd have to get to Bateleur which is clear over the other side of the Mara. We did our transfers from Cottars to near the Bateleur area by road and the vehicle was $300 (divided by the 3 or us, reasonable - and it was game drive all the way [will be especially so during August - all those wildies]).

We used private charters up north in Laikipia area - Tropic Air and they were fine and the price was right.

Where are these operators arranging private charters, the prices for each? And are the prices that much different? Important to note that the price for aviation gas has increased and for small planes that do not use jet fuel, these operators may be pricing at old '05 prices (have since been increased for balance of '05) and likely to increase for '06.

Why not provide the information and we can advise.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Re Shompole - yes it's the one near the Tanzanian border and I've received prices for that camp at around US $540 per person per night. The little Shompole is the suite for Shompole, same location just more private and it is about $180 more per person per night. I believe Naibor(belong to the same group that owns Shompole) is the new camp in Masai Mara and I was not looking at that camp.

For the air charter, I have received quotes from 3 travel agents that I've contacted and I believe each agent is using a different air charter company. Prices varies for the air charter as per the agent's quote but once I total everything up the prices are almost the same!

The cost for the air charter(small Cessna 182 and 206) from Nairobi(Wilson) to Shompole averages out from the 3 travel agents at around $550. From Shompole to Masai Mara(Cottars) $360 and from Cottars to Musiara $750. Now it seems that more of my friends want to travel with us so the charter flight price might change again since originally there were just my family and I, 3 pax, and now it looks like over 12 people altogether.

Glad to hear that you've found your air charter company, Tropic Air, satisfactory because one of my travel agent is planning to use them. I'm especially thrill that more of my friends might be joining me on my trip so that we can now charter something with 2 engines - makes me feel better!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
sandi

If the prices equal themselves out once all is considered, then who's to say which is the correct price or whether better is even available.

But in looking at a list of aircraft available - especially if you will have a large group - 12 people - the largest plane for 12 is shown as a Caravan Single Engine; for 10 people a Cessna 404 Twin Engine. So you might need more then one plane.

The current price I found for one of these larger planes Wilson/Shompole is $790 each way. And though these larger plans haven't been affected by the gas increase YET, they may by next year. And as usual, it wouldn't surprise me that prices in general will increase for the coming year.

Remember that each of the camps you are considering are small, so be certain that if with 12, these camps are reserved just for your group. So I'd lock in the space as soon as.

Let us know as you firm up your plans.