Kennedy/Nairobi visit

Jul 11th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Kennedy/Nairobi visit

I have been obsessively reading this forum for a few months now and have benefited greatly so thank you all. I have booked Kennedy for a free day in Nairobi before Safari and I am very excited to meet him. Does anyone have a photograph of him so that I may recognize him? And is there a small something from the States that I may bring him that he would enjoy? We will be there in 2 weeks!
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I haven't processed my photos, yet, but LizYoung had a photo of herself and Kennedy during the "cheetah hug".

http://rebeccachandler.myphotoalbum....06&id=DSC_0107

He's married with two girls, one in what we would call high school and a younger one. Perhaps you could take something for his wife Val or the girls?
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the link. Although we had been imagining the cheetah "hug", the photograph stunned us.
Would bath products be appreciated? Seriously the brain is on overload preparing for the trip and any specific suggestions would be appreciated.
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM

In addition to your tip, I'm sure any small gift would be appreciated. We had purchased some chocolate while in Switzerland, and gave some to Kennedy for the girls. We also gave him a book about Oregon, where we live.

The cheetah hug is incredible. I sat down on the ground next to her and was stroking her. She laid her head on my leg and purred!
Jul 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM

I can attest to how the cheetah hug was too, both last year and this year - I have this silly grin plastered on my face throughout in all of my pictures with the cheetah girls!

Amytravels, bath & body products happen to be Val & the girls FAVORITE items! Good choice! (the girls love chocolate too)

Shaytay, did you by any chance see my note on the microfibre cleaning cloth for glasses before you left? If not, maybe Amytravels, if you could pick up a microfibre glass cleaning cloth for Kennedy before you go that would be great - tell him it's for cleaning DVD's (and eye glasses) like the one I was supposed to leave for him but forgot!

This year's silly grin & the cheetah girls is at the following link -

http://www.pbase.com/lyndas/nairobi_may_16_2007

Jul 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Hi Lynda,

No...sorry I didn't see that note. I could have given him one that I had along if I had known. He had nice things to say about you and we truly enjoyed our time with him.

Sharon
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Lynda, your help has been invaluable to us and of course I can bring a cloth. I assume I can get one at an eyeglass store? And is it ok to ask Kennedy to show us a little of his life? I will love the tourist locations but I travel to experience a life unknown to me and I would greatly appreciate knowing the real Nairobi.
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Amytravels-
Yes, you can get the microfibre through any eyeglass store, or drug store as well I would bet. I've seen them in the eyeglass section of Walmart too, I think it was around 4 or 5.00.

And, yes, by all means, do ask Kennedy to show you a bit of the way of life in Nairobi, I am sure he would only be too happy to! Leely (who was the original person on the board to 'find' Kennedy!) got him to take her and her friend to a roadhouse - that must have been some fun! Leely - time to chime in here.....

Sharon - I'm so glad that you had a good time with him, he really is a very special person! I cried when we were saying goodbye, it really did break my heart. I think Nyamera, Jim and I will have to find some kind of business to run in Nairobi to keep us there permanently...
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM

Amytravels - also forgot to tell you that if you are looking for something light to take for Kennedy, he likes plain polo type shirts - not fussy in colour, but they are really cool to wear in Nairobi, and he wears them all the time when out with clients. He takes a medium if you are interested in picking him one up!
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Yes, Lynda, I would agree that he is a very special person. When we flew back in to Nairobi, my sister was still sick from the Malarone. Instead of a few more hours of touring, all she wanted was a bed. He tried the usual places for a day room, but the city was booked for a YWCA convention. He was ready to take us to his home, if necessary! We ended up at the Flora Hostel, though, where I had stayed before. It's a Catholic guest house for persons of faith (including Baptists like me). We paid the full day rate - $27. On the way to the airport, Kennedy took us to a pharmacy so that my sister could talk to the doctor there about getting some meds to get her home. We truly appreciated his care and concern.
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Kennedy was the first person we met on our first trip to "Africa"! At the end of the day of touring the usual Nairobi spots, he said, "So do you want to go have a beer in a real African bar or would you like to go have a drink in a hotel?"

Well, when someone throws down the gauntlet in that way, what can I do but respond, "Oh, I want to go to the real African place!"?

So, yes, he's game for taking you wherever, keeping safety in mind, of course. He's a really great guy; I know that sounds like something very generic to say, but it's so true in this case. He belongs in the tourism industry because he genuinely loves people and showing them his city, his country, all of it.

Have a wonderful trip.
Jul 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I know there are a lot of posts re tipping but I could not find a post specifically for a day trip tip. What is your advice...set amount or percent of total cost of day tour?
I've gotten the eyeglass cloth btw.
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM

I will be seeing Kennedy for the day on August 29th so I am glad for all the suggestions regarding gifts to take.
Jul 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM

We hope to use Kennedy in early August (it's almost lined up)and since we are travelling with our 3 children, I would love to give him a gift for his 2 girls or his wife. Any suggestions anyone? Lynda?
Jul 15th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Hi Abby-
Oh yes, I have a GREAT idea! Here's a good idea for the two girls, and one that Lisa will love -
Ask Lisa if she would go to a mall (I'm SURE she would say no, mom, please, no.... ) and ask her to choose two nice tops for the two girls - they LOVE clothes, and you could get some great tops for teens out there for 10.00 each. I wanted to, but just didn't know what to choose as you know I am WAY past the age of knowing what's 'in'. Nyiva is 13, and Sarah is 15. Sarah would be around Lisa's size, not quite as tall though, and Nyiva a bit smaller. Let Lisa know that 'dad' may raise his eyebrows a bit if they are too 'revealing'.

For Kennedy's wife Val, she loves bath products, and also jewellery/fashion acessories. (costume jewellery I mean of course!) Val loves to look nice, even when she cooked us dinner, she dresed up for the occasion!

Kennedy loves pens, and one can never have enough nice pens I'd say!

Hope this helps!
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I just remembered...

Kennedy asked if we had any magazines that we would be discarding. They enjoy reading them, so if you might consider taking some magazines for them.
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I emailed Kennedy to confirm and I have not heard back from him. Any suggestions since we will be leaving in a few days but not reaching Nairobi until next week
Jul 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Sometimes he is out on safari and sometimes the e-mails just don't get through to Kenya. I have three e-mail addresses for him:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Send an e-mail to all three and see if you hear back from him or Val.
Jul 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I've emailed and now I will continue to wait.
Jul 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I posted yesterday but it hasn't shown up, sorry if this is a repeat post. I've heard from Kennedy and all is set. Less than a week to go! If he is as charming in person as he is through emails then I will have the most wonderful introduction to Africa!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO