Taking an American Infant to Dubai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering a trip from US to Dubai to visit family working there. My daughter will be 11 months old around the time we are considering the trip. Has anyone traveled there with an infant? How was the flight? She has already flown 15 times since she was born. Are there health records needed to enter ie vaccine records? It will be mid February. Is it too hot even then for her to be outside for any period of time? Is it safe for her? Anything else? Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:52 PM

First, check the CDC site, www.cdc.gov/travel, select Dubai or UAE for health requirements for all of you. No doubt, though your daughter may have more than her parents and not require anything. These sites do sometimes go a bit overboard, so you have to use your own good sense to determined what is absolutely required. All of which should be discussed with your personal physician and child's pediatrian prior departure.

Then check the Dubai/UAE tourism website for specifics of what might be required for entry, i.e., Visas, other.

From what I understand, February is an ideal time to visit as it isn't too hot. Though I'm sure your family living/working there would have a better handle on this.

Otherwise, if your daughter has already traveled, then go for it. Just remember though... it's a long, long flight; 12/hrs from the East Coast, no doubt, longer from the West.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM

It's a long flight. My 2 year old grand niece has flown to Australia twice. They did fine. Try to get the seats on the bulkhead (assuming you're in coach). Borrow or buy an iPad, but don't show it to her until you are flying and gets fussy. Apparently, it was a lifesaver. Then don't let her play with it until the return flight. Take Benedryl with you for clogged ears and give a bottle on takeoff so she swallows to clear her ears. You'll be fine.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:46 AM

mdtravelhealth.com

For Dubai health info/pediatrictravel info odds are great you will be just fine if careful but do check with your paediatrician. Just as with adults food and water quality issues are biggest risk. I drink only bottled water and "bake i tpeel it boil it or leave it". Lukewarm buffets with food
lying around and soups where animal parts are used especially feet are used form perfect culture media for all kinds of unusual bacteria.Good medical kit adult and pediatric including antibiotic and diarrhea meds essential for me.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM

'animal feet' - well what's the difference between animal feet than actual pieces of chicken, beef, pork or fish, even vegetables being used?

All food, regardless where in the world, should be properly handled and prepared. More so in places that cater to tourist. If not... there goes their business!

Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual for e-coli (and whatever that 'cheese' disease is... can't recall the name) to pop-up anywhere - due to animal 'feet?'
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 03:13 AM
peg

I have not personally flown with an infant, but have been on many flights to and from the US from the UAE with infants. I do not find it particulary pleasant. With that said, its a 14-14 1/2 hour flight out of Chicago, 12-12 1/2 hour flight out of NY, with any luck you get a tail wind and its a bit faster. I would definitely try and fly Emirates into Dubai, or Eithad into Abu Dhabi (hour to Dubai) as opposed to the US carriers (if you are in coach especially). No records are needed, just your US passports. Feburary is an ideal time of the year for visitors here. It's in the 70s low 80s that time of year, but a bit chilly at night. The country is perfectly safe, and you won't get sick if you drink the water from the tap.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM

I have done many long haul flights with infants and never had a problem- they key is be prepared! Emirates and Etihad a both great and will look after you very well! Weather will be fine that time of year. Everything is readily available in the Emirates-diapers etc if you are using a particular brand of formula you may need to check before if that is available for sale. Pack a small first aid kids, toys, baby books, hat, collapsible light weight stroller and you should be fine. Use bottled water to be safe. Don't worry-there are great hospitals if needed and it is fairly safe -lots to see and enjoy!
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM

My Suggestion is that u must carry all the medicine coz the climate will effect the baby the most, they take time to adjust and carry all her toys the most baby enjoy and drink her plenty of water as per baby age